Username: Password:
Remember Me? forgot password?

Difficult translation due to grammar
Posted: 22 January 2018 05:31 PM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2013-04-13

Dia daoibh go léir. I rarely ask for help with translation, but this is a special case. I’m working on a gift for a friend that contains a phrase that Muslims usually begin prayer with: “In the name of God, the gracious, the merciful.” I know “In the name of God” is “In ainm Dé.” I’m not sure how to use an adjective as a noun, such as in “the gracious” and “the merciful.” I’d appreciate being shown how to use an adjective in that way. I also need to know the genitive form of the name Fachtna. Go raibh míle maith ag duine ar bith a bhfuil ábalta cuidiú a thabhair!

Posted: 24 January 2018 06:53 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2011-10-27

Using the genitive case, you would get “In ainm Dé ghrástúla, thrócairigh”, which is grammatically correct, but doesn’t sound very natural, so I would rather suggest “In ainm Dé atá grástúil agus trócaireach” (In the name of God who is graceful and merciful). Still, I’m not a native speaker nor well versed in religious terms, so I would wait for more comments. As regards Fachtna, in Modern Irish the genitive case of personal names is formed simply by adding “h” to the initial consonant, so that “Fachtna’s house” would be “teach Fhachtna”.

Posted: 24 January 2018 11:44 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2013-04-13

Thank you for your suggestions. I’m afraid I’ve bitten off more than I can chew at my current level of Irish. Like you said, I’ll wait for more posts. I do appreciate your reply.

Posted: 24 January 2018 04:47 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2013-04-13

I managed to find an Irish translation of the basmala from a wiki: In ainm Dé atá lán trua agus trócaire. It took a lot of digging, but I found my Easter egg. Thank you, Onuvanja, for your response. If anyone would still like to make a alternative suggestion, please do. Unless a other input is offered soonish, I’ll be going with what I found today. Go raibh maith agaibh, y’all!

Posted: 26 January 2018 08:25 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2011-11-03
Onuvanja - 24 January 2018 06:53 AM

Using the genitive case, you would get “In ainm Dé ghrástúla, thrócairigh”, which is grammatically correct, but doesn’t sound very natural, so I would rather suggest “In ainm Dé atá grástúil agus trócaireach” (In the name of God who is graceful and merciful).

Yes, I’d choose a relative clause as well.
But usually there’s no “agus” between adjectives:
in ainm Dé atá grástúil trócaireach

Posted: 26 January 2018 11:01 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  416
Joined  2011-10-27

Well spotted, Labhrás! Thanks for the correction.