Remember Me? forgot password?

Pronunciation of “seo é” and “seo í” in Colloquial Irish
Posted: 26 February 2017 09:49 PM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-02-23

Hello,

I’m working through the course “Colloquial Irish.” While listening to the audio,  specifically the audio for lesson 1, I’m not sure if I’m hearing the speakers correctly. When they say “Seo í Bríd” or “Seo é Séamas” it sounds as if there is a letter d between “seo” and “é” (or í). To me, it would make sense to stick a consonant in there to break up the vowel sounds, but I just wanted to confirm. Can anyone familiar with Connemara Irish comment on this? If I’m hearing it correctly, does this happen in other scenarios as well?

Go raibh maith agaibh,
Harrison

Posted: 27 February 2017 06:04 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  397
Joined  2011-10-27

Dear Harrison,
Yes, indeed, adding a “d” sound to “seo” is a very common alternative pronunciation in Connemara. It’s sometimes even spelt “seod é...”. But I think this phenomenon is only limited to é and doesn’t extend to other pronouns like í and iad.

Posted: 27 February 2017 08:36 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2011-11-03
Onuvanja - 27 February 2017 06:04 AM

Dear Harrison,
Yes, indeed, adding a “d” sound to “seo” is a very common alternative pronunciation in Connemara. It’s sometimes even spelt “seod é...”. But I think this phenomenon is only limited to é and doesn’t extend to other pronouns like í and iad.

It can be used with í and iad, too
Examples from Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (de Bhaldraithe):
Seod í annseo í ; Seod iad iad, Ní h-eod iad an dream iad

Posted: 27 February 2017 09:50 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2017-02-23

Go raibh maith agaibh! I appreciate the clarification.

‹‹ Book and DVD to trade      CVs as Gaeilge? ››