Remember Me? forgot password?

Riail na Gaeilge
Posted: 07 January 2012 01:08 PM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-10-26

A chairde,

I did a random search for “Gaeilge language” on Google.com and on the first page of hits I found this link: http://lurgan.biz/index.php/info/riail-na-gaeilge-language-behaviour/

I found this to be very interesting. I had not known that something like this existed, but I can see why it might be a good thing, especially for colleges in Gaeltachtaí or that have prominent Gaeilge programs. I could see some people saying that this is a bit extreme, but because of the clear warning for only serious students to apply and the steps listed for noncompliance, I don’t think it’s over the top. One of my Spanish classes in college was very adamant about using as little English as possible in the classroom…it was the best way to learn it.

But I was wondering what you all thought?

Beannachtaí,
Séril

Signature 

Canann an teanga seo i d’fhuil….

Posted: 08 January 2012 05:10 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-01-05

An rud atá de dhíth, tá sé de dhíth.

What is necessary is necessary. I have no issues with Riail na Gaeilge in Gaelcholáistí.

Signature 

a ɼóiſín a ġrá, ná bíodh bɼón oɼt

Riarthóir ag http://www.foramnagaeilge.com

Posted: 08 January 2012 05:41 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2012-01-02

One of my Spanish classes in college was very adamant about using as little English as possible in the classroom…it was the best way to learn it.

Yes. That’s it.
Estamos en la zona de español Sí, se puede y para aprender es necesario.

If you are serious about learning, you need a rule like this.
Students who are really trying can’t learn when they hear the English of students who don’t bother to try around them.       
They (or their parents) didn’t pay money to go to an Irish-speaking region only to have their new “friends” blather on in English.
Or if the parents don’t care and wanted baby-sitting, they sent their kids to the wrong place.

Immersion works. Bain triail as. Tum isteach sa teanga. Thanks to the Internet you can surround yourself with Irish songs, watch Irish TV, read Irish books or better still, go there.

Signature 

Maireann teangachaí mar a mhaireann reiligiúin, ar eiriceachtaí - Unamuno

Posted: 08 January 2012 05:45 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2011-10-28

Love it.  That is the way to learn and get better at the language.  Since entering German in College I have only heard my German professor speak english for a total of maybe 2 minutes.  That is inside and outside the classroom.  Even emails sent and recieved are in German.  It is the best way to learn.

Signature 

Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge agus is maith liom í!

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:32 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-10-26

I completely agree! I believe more language programs beyond the very basics are going to move as much towards immersion as they can. I wish language classes in high school would do that. I think it would help immencely, but I think it’s a relatively new concept in the public school systems as far as a teaching technique. I hope it catches on like I think it will.

Immersion is part of the reason why my no-English lessons on Rosetta stone have really helped me. They aren’t everything I do to study and learn more, but they have been immencely helpful with helping everything “click,” to go beyond just memorization and actually ingrain it into my brain. smile

I’m hoping in a few years I’ll be able to go to Ireland. It’s just too expensive for us at the moment. I would love to attend some kind of immersion weekend or something while I’m there. Perhaps I can get fluent enough to teach a course or two as Gaeilge here in SC, or at least find people interested enough to start a group.

Bhuel, go raibh maith agaibh!

Signature 

Canann an teanga seo i d’fhuil….

‹‹ Nár thug sé an cíos di?      New Classes ››