Username: Password:
Remember Me? forgot password?

Nár thug sé an cíos di?
Posted: 06 January 2012 05:44 PM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-12-16

Dia daoibh! The sentence in the title doesn’t have any context but a small cartoon, that’s why I don’t understand it. Literally translated into Italian it would mean “didn’t he pay the rent to her?”, but I suspect it’s not so, because in the cartoon there’s a girl living in a tent. Should I suppose “he didn’t let his house to her”? (buntùs cainte 1, ceacht 55 page 114). Go raibh maith agaibh

Posted: 06 January 2012 08:54 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2011-10-27

I think they are saying something like:

“Didn’t he give the rent money to her?” because apparently she didn’t pay the rent this month and that’s why she’s living in a tent.

I might be wrong on this, but that’s what I think it means.

Posted: 07 January 2012 08:24 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

I agree with WFM

Posted: 07 January 2012 08:37 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-12-16

well, if it’s true that cìos = rent money, according to the Irish sentence HE didn’t give HER the money, hence she is the owner of the house and it’s he that should live in a tent, less expensive than the house; but in the cartoon it’s SHE that lives in the tent, not he: one could deduce that the iconical meaning of the cartoon is not true (provided that cìos = money to be given for the rent), and this would sound strange, because all the numerous cartoons in Buntùs Cainte perfectly fit their related sentences. I suppose the knot of the dilemma lies in the verb tabhair, namely in the practical meaning of the phrase “cìos a thabhairt do dhuine”

Posted: 07 January 2012 08:41 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

If he owed her the rent then it would be “Nár íoc sé an cíos léi”; the sentence quoted suggests he ought to have given her the money to pay the rent.

Posted: 07 January 2012 08:49 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-12-16

go raibh maith agaibh a chàirde

Posted: 07 January 2012 09:58 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2011-10-27

according to the Irish sentence HE didn’t give HER the money, hence she is the owner of the house

She probably wasn’t the owner of the house but rented the house along with him.  When he didn’t give her the rent money so that she could pay the rent for the both of them, they were both kicked out of the house, with her living in the tent and he disappearing out of the picture.

Posted: 07 January 2012 02:28 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-12-16

You’ve guessed just right, David! Ceart go leor

‹‹ Lá Fhéile      Riail na Gaeilge ››