Username: Password:
Remember Me? forgot password?

Irish Government
Posted: 06 January 2012 01:38 AM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2011-10-28

I was curious as to the situation in Ireland in terms of what the government’s stance towards Gaeilge is.  I realize that there have been a few efforts towards helping it, but I’m able to find relatively little information with regard to it.  Are there any big movements for the language occurring in the government at the moment?  And what of the newly elected President Michael D. Higgins?  I realize he has a good view towards the laguage but does he have any goals for it?  Any information would be great!  Go raibh maith agat!

Signature 

Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge agus is maith liom í!

Posted: 06 January 2012 03:42 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-01-05

Well, it’s really too early to say with the new government, though the closure of Oifig an Coimisinéir Teanga may not bode well. I’m inclined to believe that was an unfortunate side effect of Quango cutting though, and has little to do with the Government’s policy towards Irish. On the plus side, the new 20 year strategy for Irish, which was agreed by all political parties, is just beginning. That hopes to encourage Gaeilge in a vast variety of areas, but in my opinion, the best one is the Gaeltacht. The Government’s long term strategy is to increase the number of daily Irish speakers in the Gaeltacht areas from ~80,000 to ~250,000. It is important that we remember that a dead language is not one which has no speakers, but one which has no native speakers. I’m delighted that the political system has recognised this key fact, and is promoting the Gaeltachtaí. The 20 year Strategy is available online, I believe.

Signature 

a ɼóiſín a ġrá, ná bíodh bɼón oɼt

Riarthóir ag http://www.foramnagaeilge.com

Posted: 06 January 2012 04:04 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

The issue is that there in strong, entrenched opposition to Irish in parts of the “Permanent Government” (the Civil Service) especially in the Department of Education, which is a key Department.

The Official Languages Act and the Commissioner were exposing that; so a deliberate attempt is being made to sideline teh office.

Posted: 06 January 2012 05:55 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-28

Yes I saw that the department of education, that is the new minister, did make a few changes that harmed the Gaelscoilanna somewhat.  That being not recognizing some new Gaelscoileanna that were established and increasing the teacher to student ratio in the existing Gaelscoileanna.  That is unfortunate.  I did see the 20 year act.  Hopefully the effects of that will be seen.  Go raibh maith agat

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2012 06:02 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

Ministers come and go, the Department remains and fights on against Gaelscoileanna!

Posted: 06 January 2012 06:26 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-28

That’s unfortunate, close-minded, and troubling.  (I would love to say something more insulting, but will abstain.)  It also seems pointless as the gaelscoileanna continue to be created at a rapid rate.  I heard that something like 5 or 6 were opening in the next year or two alone.  The other department you mentioned i did not know about.  I don’t understand this minority that wasnts to destroy the language, but I suppose I never will.  In any case, the language will return a thrive, naturally, regardless of what some people (abstaining still) would like to think.

Signature 

‹‹ " sois franc!"      HELP PLEASE !! ››