Remember Me? forgot password?

Help with a Name
Posted: 13 May 2014 07:24 AM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2014-05-13

Haigh a chairde!

A friend of mine whose surname is Ní Fhaoláin is looking to get “Daughter of Phelan” translated into Irish.

My first thought was Iníon Uí Fhaoláin.

But then since the “Ní” above is an abbreviated version of “Iníon” already, would “Ní Fhaoláin” suffice?

Lastly, would it be off the wall to use “Iníon Fhaoláin” - without any form of Ó/Uí?

Any advice at all would be great / Go raibh míle as aon chúnamh!

Brian-

Posted: 13 May 2014 09:00 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2011-10-25

Ni is the term used for a daughter .  Her brothers would b Ó Faoláin or Mac Faoláin.

Posted: 13 May 2014 09:25 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2014-05-13

Thanks, though she’s looking for it as more of a statement/title, not as a bare bones surname.

It’s going to be engraved on a plaque with the intention of reading as “Daughter of Phelan”, as opposed to just her surname (Ní Fhaoláin). I know it sounds like a weird construction, but she had something specific in mind. That’s why I was thinking Iníon Uí Fhaoláin would be more accurate in this case, using the ginideach to emphasise the construction she has in mind?

Posted: 13 May 2014 09:55 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-10-27

I’d think “Iníon Fhaoláin” is ok -  as in ‘Seo í iníon Fhaoláin/ Tá aithne mhaith agam ar iníon Fhaoláin…’ Mar a deir tú, ní sloinne atá i gceist.  But perhaps “Iníon le Faolán” would be better? Strictly speaking, “Iníon Fhaoláin” = (The) daughter of Phelan,; “Iníon le Faolán” = (A) daughter of Phelan. Best to wait for more opinions.

Posted: 14 May 2014 05:33 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2012-01-05

I’d think Iníon Uí Fhaoláin would probably be the closest in terms of register and meaning to the original English request.

Posted: 14 May 2014 06:45 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  450
Joined  2011-10-27

Just wondering, wouldn’t you have to turn the surname into a noun in this case (an Faolánach - iníon an Fhaolánaigh)?

Posted: 14 May 2014 07:01 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2012-01-05

The surname already is a noun (or nouns) tongue laugh

Iníon an Fhaolánaigh would mean “daughter of some specific person whose surname is Ó Faoláin,” whereas Iníon Uí Fhaoláin means literally “daughter of a descendant of Faolán,” or “daughter of (the line of) Faolán.”

Posted: 14 May 2014 07:36 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  450
Joined  2011-10-27

I see. smile It’s just that “Uí + Surname” reminded me of structures like “Bean Uí Fhaoláin” (Mrs O’Phelan) where the wife has no actual ties with the surname. But that’s probably beside the point.

Posted: 14 May 2014 11:21 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2014-05-13

Thanks for all the help / Go raibh maith agat as an chúnamh!