Username: Password:
Remember Me? forgot password?

Letter writing…
Posted: 04 January 2012 12:24 PM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-10-26

I know I’ve seen some of this posted before on the old forums, but I didn’t think it had been brought up here on the new forums.

What are some correct ways to start and end a letter/email?

I have heard of using “A (name), a chara,” and ending with “Mise, le meas, (name)”...are these correct and are there more than just these introductions and closures for letters/emails?

Go raibh maith agaibh!
Séril

Signature 

Canann an teanga seo i d’fhuil….

Posted: 05 January 2012 07:51 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2012-01-05

Yeah, people use those. Depending on your relationship to the person you’re addressing, you can add or substitute various adjectives or terms of endearment to the greeting part, as, e.g., “a mháthair dhil” (dear mother), “a Nuala a chroí/stór/srl.,” “a Mháire a chailleach” (Máire, you hag), and so forth.

For the salutation at the end, again depending on your relationship to the person or circumstances or content of the letter &c., you can use “is mise, le meas/grá/srl.,” or “beannacht(aí)” (blessing(s)), “beir bua (agus beannacht)” (best wishes), &c.

On the other hand, I may not necessarily be the very most respectful or emotionally expressive person around in any language I speak and I tend to be somewhat utilitarian in my own personal communications, so maybe I’m not the best person to answer this for you tongue laugh

Posted: 06 January 2012 04:08 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

“A chara” and “Mise le meas” are formal. (Mise le meas more so)

I usually just use the vocative to open and sign of with beir bua & beannacht (more usually abbreviated as BB&B)

Posted: 06 January 2012 07:35 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  397
Joined  2011-10-27

“A chara” on its own would be the equivalent “Dear Sir/Madam” in English. If you begin your letter with “A chara”, I suppose “Le meas” or “Is mise, le meas” would be the standard ending, somewhat like “Yours faithfully” in English. In case of informal letters, however, you would expect “A Séril, a chara”, as you mentioned yourself, or one of the other alternatives posted above.

As an ending, you could also choose “Le deá-mhéin” (“Best wishes”). I’m not totally sure, but I think this is also rather formal, as I’ve never seen it in personal correspondence…

Posted: 07 January 2012 08:46 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-10-26

Go raibh maith agaibh, go léir!

I like quite a few of these, although I’d be reluctant to use “a chailleach” LOL

Is maith liom “beannachtaí” agus “beir bua agus beannacht”.

I will practice using these more often.

Beannachtaí,
Séril

Signature 

Canann an teanga seo i d’fhuil….

Posted: 08 January 2012 04:48 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-12-03
Onuvanja - 06 January 2012 07:35 AM

As an ending, you could also choose “Le deá-mhéin” (“Best wishes”). I’m not totally sure, but I think this is also rather formal, as I’ve never seen it in personal correspondence…

Le dea-mhéin (gan síneadh fada ar an ‘a’)

Le gach dea-mhéin

Posted: 09 January 2012 03:45 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  397
Joined  2011-10-27
Antóin - 08 January 2012 04:48 AM

Le dea-mhéin (gan síneadh fada ar an ‘a’)

Le gach dea-mhéin

Sorry, Antóin is right. In Standard Irish the particle “dea-” is spelt with a short “a”.  (“Deá-” would be the Connemara pronunciation)

Posted: 09 January 2012 04:38 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

“deá” is also how I spell it by default because it is how I say it.

But Antóin is indeed correct.