Username: Password:
Remember Me? forgot password?

cuir suas an leanbh
Posted: 20 December 2011 04:39 PM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-12-16

Hi, can anybody explain me what mammy did in this sentence?: chuir mamaì suas an leanbh (mammy put the child up). Perhaps she took him out of bed holding him in her arms? I’m aware of my limited knowledge of English, therefore I do agree with you if my question makes you smile.

Posted: 20 December 2011 05:03 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

Context? I find it a bit odd.

Google tells me there is a buntús cainte flashcard with this text. (So no context)

I would have though it meant something along the lines of “Mammaí sent the child up (stairs)”

But I’d be reluctant to be dogmatic.

Posted: 20 December 2011 06:10 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-12-16

Just a single sentence without any context on page 70 of buntùs vol. 1, but I’m quite sure you guessed right, for now I see in O’Dònaill that cuir means also “send” and the adverb implies motion. Thanks a lot, Aonghus!

Posted: 22 December 2011 08:48 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2011-10-27
aonghus - 20 December 2011 05:03 PM

I would have though it meant something along the lines of “Mammaí sent the child up (stairs)”

My guess is that it’s more along the lines of “Mammaí put the child to bed.”  In American English at least, when you actually take your child, especially an infant, and physically assist in putting them into bed, you could say that you put them to bed, and if the bedroom is upstairs, you could say you “put them up (to bed - for the night).” 

The other examples with the cat on pages 68 and 69 would also imply physically assisting the cat in going outside (putting the cat out).