Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-11-02

While waiting for my copy of the Christian Brothers’ book, I decided to look
again at Catilína.
So, I have started, killing 2 birds with 1 stone, to add Ó Cuív’s text to
the retypeset file.
You can find the work, partially completed at:
http://www.box.com/s/tap5rt72809dp16pi5yv
I would value your comments, and suggestions.

Signature 

Is mise, le meas,
Deghebh.

Posted: 30 November 2011 08:44 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-10-31

What is the aim of your work? are you doing a phonetic production or are you trying to put a modern “Standard Irish version”  on the work of Peadar ó Laoghaire.
It is common practice in contemporary Translation/Celtic Studies to “Standardise” old texts be they 100 years old or “Old/Middle?Classical” Irish period texts. I am learning Old Irish at the moment and I have two excellent books “Grammar of Old Irish” by Rudolf Thurneysen and “Sengoidelc” by David Stifter.
I will give you some little help and point you in the direction you may want to go.
http://www.archive.org  http://www.openlibrary.org  . I have downloaded excellent resources and books , grammars etc
I cannot recommend them enough for getting the raw materials and resources you need for the task in Irish .Most of the material/resources are uploaded by the top Universities in the US / Britain / Ireland.

Posted: 01 December 2011 06:05 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-11-02

Thankyou for your response.
Though my Irish is somewhere between basic, and nonexistant, I have time, and patience, and some skill.
I may have associated with wrong people, but on my holidays in Kerry, I have met the opinion that CO is disrespected, and the local dialect is favoured.
So I am trying to centralize a grouping of Munster resources.  That is My Munster Irish Library.
I have found, nay, the Owner of the Literary Café in Dingle pointed me at Archive.Org, and indeed most of my centralized resources are from there.
Actually, the original for Catilína is from Archive.Org, but the LS version is from Dave Webb.  I scanned it to pdf from his original copy.  I have scanned other works which are not available from Archive.Org.
I thought to retypeset the LS version on its own, but logic forced me to incorporate it directly into the retypeset version of Catilína, as that woud automatically put me into a proof reading mode on the retypeset version, and matching the text would highlight my errors.
Actually, I am not completely enamoured with LS, I think it goes too far, and not far enough, however, it is, as it stands a useable tool for phonetically encoding Irish with sufficient accuracy, that the sound of Father Peter’s dialect can be reconstructed.
Sound recordings are, for the most part unavailable, and those tiny few which do exist are of abominable quality.  LS gives us then, the best available phonetic transcription of Father Peter’s Irish.
The immediate help I need is this:
In this new version of Catilína , I have set the page heads, LS on the left page, and traditional text on the right.  Taking a cue from “The Sounds of Irish”, I have set the header texts to read,
Left page: nnL   Catilína as Letiriú Shímplí, font = American typewriter.
Right page: Catilína as Gnáṫ Leitriú  nnR, font = Gael BX Unicode.  In both cases the page number is in Georgia Bold.
Is my Irish correct, or what should it be?

Signature 

Is mise, le meas,
Deghebh.

Posted: 05 December 2011 07:03 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-11-02

Catilína: Adding the Simplified Spelling
Now on page 39.  That is section XLII.

Progress is good, but I am sure I am finding errors in the original gnáth leitriú file.

Forgive me for soliloquising, but I do need some help.

Signature 

Is mise, le meas,
Deghebh.

Posted: 13 December 2011 04:59 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-11-02

Task completed apart from tidying up.
A by product of the process, due to cross comparison, as the LS text format
was ajusted to mirror the traditional print, OCR errors were highlighted,
and so, corrected.
The Catilína files are all in the directory:
http://www.box.com/s/umkcbn82e5nfrvr7s08l
Comments and observations will be greatly appreceated.

Signature 

Is mise, le meas,
Deghebh.