Username: Password:
Remember Me? forgot password?

Cleachtas/Practice
Posted: 29 October 2011 01:47 PM   Ignore ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-10-26

Dia duit!  Séril Nic Áindriús is ainm dom.  Táim i mo chónaí i gCarolina Theas sa Stáit Aontaithe.  Tá mo fhear céile agus mé in ár gcónaí i dteach beag, ach is maith linn é.  Tá ár dteach bán.  Tá tri seomraí codlata, cistin mór amháin, agus seomra suí beag ag an teach.  Níl páistí againn.  Tá trí cat agus ceithre frog crainn agam.  Salem, Sweeny, agus Lovey is ainm do mo chait. Tá Salem cat dubh, tá Sweeny cat liath agus bán, agus tá Lovey cat liath rua agus bán. Tá trí frog glasa agus tá frog amháin donn.Emerald, Yoda, Hamlet, agus Peatrie is ainm dóibh. Tá madra ag mo fhear céile. Bo is ainm do. Tá sé madra bán agus dubh.  Is Pitbull é ach tá sé madra deas. An bhfuil peataí agaibh? Cad dathanna atá orthu? Cad is ainm dóibh? Is maith liom gúnaí agus geansaithe á chaitheamh agam ach go hannamh, ach is maith liom t-léine agus jíons (bríste géine) á chaitheamh agam go minic.  Is rúnaí mé agus oibrim ar maidin agus san iarnóin. Cathain oibreann sibh? Cá n-oibreann sibh? Tá ag obair anois ach tá leadrán orm. Conas atá sibh?

An scríobhaim é seo ceart?

So far these are the types of things I’ve gleaned from Rossetta Stone Irish’s Level 1. I’m almost done with Level 1…not all the way complete, but I wanted to practice some of the things I’ve learned so far from memory to see if I got it right…play around with it a little and make the lessons apply to me. I’m looking forward to pressing on into Level 2 and 3 in the near future and just widening my vocabulary in both words and phrases, and understanding idioms a bit more. Gaeilge can be so alien to native English speakers sometimes and I want to understand much more about the idioms and grammar.
Any help or responces would be greatly appreciated!
Go raibh maith agaibh!

Signature 

Canann an teanga seo i d’fhuil….

Posted: 29 October 2011 03:28 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  643
Joined  2011-10-26

Fáilte romhat agus comhghairdeachas smile

Táim i mo chónaí i gCarolina Theas sa Stáit Aontaithe. 

sna Stáit Aontaithe.

Tá mo fhear céile agus mé in ár gcónaí

Tá mé féin agus m’fhear céile inár gcónaí

cistin mór amháin,

cistin mhór

agus seomra suí beag ag an teach. 

sa teach (ag an teach means “at the house” or that the house owns these rooms)

Tá trí cat agus ceithre frog crainn agam. 

Tá trí chat agus ceithre fhroga chrainn agam.

Tá Salem cat dubh, tá Sweeny cat liath agus bán, agus tá Lovey cat liath rua agus bán.

Is cat dubh Salem, is cat liath agus bán Sweeny, agus is cat liath agus bán Lovey.

Tá trí frog glasa agus tá frog amháin donn.

Tá trí fhroga ghlasa agus froga donn amháin agam.
or if you mean “there are 3 green frogs and one brown frog, then:
Tá trí fhroga glas agus tá frog amháin donn.

Tá madra ag mo fhear céile.

Tá madra ag m’fhear céile.

Tá sé madra bán agus dubh. 

Is madra bán agus dubh é.

Is Pitbull é ach tá sé madra deas.

Is Pitbull é ach is madra deas é.

Cad dathanna atá orthu?

Cad é an dath atá orthu?

Is maith liom gúnaí agus geansaithe á chaitheamh agam ach go hannamh,

Is maith liom gúnaí agus geansaithe a chaitheamh amanna

ach is maith liom t-léine agus jíons (bríste géine) á chaitheamh agam go minic.

... a chaitheamh go minic.

Cathain oibreann sibh?

Cathain a oibríonn sibhse?

Cá n-oibríonn sibhse?

Tá ag obair anois ach tá leadrán orm.

Tá mé ag obair anois ach tá leadrán orm.

An scríobhaim é seo ceart?

iontach maith grin

Signature 

Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste
Agus is í Gaeilg Ghaoth Dobhair is binne

Posted: 30 October 2011 08:37 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-10-30

Well done Séril.  You have succeeded in communicating a lot of information in clear Irish.  Lughaidh has dealt with the inaccuracies of grammar of usage which did not impede understanding and thus illustrate how valuable such practice is.

Just one small comment:  The word “cleachtas” is used of a doctor’s practice or in anthropology how a community deals with some major event. (Custom?) For example the New Zealand Rugby team’s pre-match dance.  Nós and Gnáthamh would be similar words.  For language practice I’d suggest “cleachtadh” would be better

Posted: 30 October 2011 09:29 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2011-10-27

Maith thú a Shéril! Jeaicín says it best in your communicating your thoughts so well.  And what I’ve always enjoyed and benefited from this forum is the excellent and polite way the advanced amongst us, like Lughaidh, Jeaicín, Aonghus and others, go about helping us learners get better in Irish.

Posted: 31 October 2011 09:35 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-26

A Lughaidh, thank you very much for the quick reply and the breakdown of the grammar that I need to work on. The corrections you made do make sense to me and that helps so much! I just had one question:

Is Pitbull é ach is madra deas é.

I was told early on not to use “is” phrases with things that are not a permanent part of the object. I wasn’t sure that “deas” was a permanent part, and probably needed to be used in a sentence with “Tá” instead of “is”. Is this correct or is it a more relaxed rule than that? Can the differences between “is” and “tá” be better explained in regard to usage?

A Jeaicín, thank you for your encouragement! I’m glad that regardless of the mistakes, I came accross understandably. smile

A Dhavid, Yes, I too am very grateful that those on here who are fluent or nearly fluent are very nice in helping us beginners/intermediates with our practice and questions. I love this site for that!

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2011 01:18 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  643
Joined  2011-10-26

Can the differences between “is” and “tá” be better explained in regard to usage?

“Is” is used to link nouns and pronouns together (pronouns with pronouns, nouns with nouns, pronouns with nouns), ie. to say what or who someone or something is.
“Tá” is used to link nouns and pronouns with adjectives, places etc, ie. to say how or where someone/something is or what it is like.

The so-called rule about permanent/non-permanent state has so many exceptions that it isn’t useful to learn it… The use of tá or is depends on what kind of words you link together (nouns/pronouns, adjectives etc) and not on the meaning.

Signature 

Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste
Agus is í Gaeilg Ghaoth Dobhair is binne

Posted: 02 November 2011 02:37 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-26

The so-called rule about permanent/non-permanent state has so many exceptions that it isn’t useful to learn it… The use of tá or is depends on what kind of words you link together (nouns/pronouns, adjectives etc) and not on the meaning.

This makes it much more understandable. To help me remember this, I related “is” to metaphor usage (a thing is a thing). Makes sense to me…but its just my pnemonic idea.

Go raibh maith agat!

A Fhaberm,
Go raibh maith agat! I’m glad that it was understandable! :D

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2011 03:59 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-26

Probably there is an “é” that is omitted like “Is maith liom é”.  The maith and the é are what is “coupled”.

Yes, there is an “é” that is sometimes omitted. I think it is grammatically incorrect to ommit it but it still is seen that way I guess for short. I always write it “Is maith liom é”. It’s true that this one and other idioms like it do not follow that rule, but as a whole those exceptions are few and are easy to learn and memorize. smile

Signature