Remember Me? forgot password?

3 of 3
New Look
Posted: 31 October 2011 11:34 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

Ċimse idir poncanna (ach iad a ḃéiṫ scríofa) & litreaċa fada - ach tá bunċló ársa agam ar mo ríoṁaire

Posted: 31 October 2011 04:30 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-10-26

The following is a bit technical…sorry!

It would be very possible to have this forum work in such a way that a user preference could control whether text appears in the traditional way (a dot over lenited consonants + a Seanchló typeface) or the modern way (a ‘h’ following lenited consonants + a Roman typeface). Two things are required. First, there needs to be a small bit of script added to each page. This would dynamically convert text using the ‘h’ convention to text using the dots. Secondly, there needs to be some additional CSS added to reference a suitable Seanchló ‘webfont’ and obviate the need for users to have a locally installed Seanchló font.

I have created a very rudimentary jQuery plugin that does the job and put together a very simple web page to illustrate how to use the plugin and also how to reference a suitable webfont. The page is deliberately spartan in its use of CSS in order to avoid confusing the issue. Feel free to use this any way you like.

http://79.125.105.84/dmc/SeamusBeag.html

Posted: 31 October 2011 04:35 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2011-10-24

Go deas cinnte, ach gan na foinsí don JScript conas is féidir aiṫris a ḋeanaṁ air?

Posted: 31 October 2011 04:39 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2011-10-27

A Dhaithí, tá sé sin go hiontach!  It’s really nice to be able to convert from a modern font to Seanchló font.  It helps learners like me get familiar with Seanchló writing since you can see the relationship immediately with the modern font.  Go raibh maith agat.

David

Posted: 31 October 2011 05:15 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-03-18

I think in matters such as these, context and courtesy are everything. We are a non-profit and our mission is to teach and promote the Irish language. An invitation to visit a new Irish discussion board, view a helpful site or critique study aids are all welcome topics for discussion. When constantly repeated, they become less of an announcement for the common good and more of an advertisement. That’s not to say that references to other boards are improper. I’ve seen more than one reference to Daltai.com at IGT, for example (and you’ll find more than one reference to IGT here) where one member was suggesting the board to another as a means to find an answer to a question. In context, it’s obvious that people are just trying to help, not draw traffic from one site at the expense of another.

So, a one-time post to publicize a new resource is welcome. Contextually appropriate mention of that resource is appropriate too. It’s all a matter of degree - and courtesy.

Insect Overlord - 31 October 2011 07:24 AM
Caoimhín - 31 October 2011 07:03 AM

As for off-topic discussion, we do allow some leeway in that area, provided it is “polite and related to the Irish language. There are other boards where politics can be explored and debated at length.

On the topic of general discussion, some posters here may recognise my user-name from a number of other Gaeilge discussion-forums. I post on one, moderate a second and administrate on a third. Is there any rule against mentioning these other sites? I know I’d consider it spam if someone tried to promote themselves on one of my forums without asking me first.

Signature 

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam.

Posted: 31 October 2011 05:20 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-03-18

Daithí,

very kind of you and thank you for taking the time to put together an example.

It may take a little while, but I will add it.

Caoimhín

Daithí Mac Cormaic - 31 October 2011 04:30 PM

The following is a bit technical…sorry!

It would be very possible to have this forum work in such a way that a user preference could control whether text appears in the traditional way (a dot over lenited consonants + a Seanchló typeface) or the modern way (a ‘h’ following lenited consonants + a Roman typeface). Two things are required. First, there needs to be a small bit of script added to each page. This would dynamically convert text using the ‘h’ convention to text using the dots. Secondly, there needs to be some additional CSS added to reference a suitable Seanchló ‘webfont’ and obviate the need for users to have a locally installed Seanchló font.

I have created a very rudimentary jQuery plugin that does the job and put together a very simple web page to illustrate how to use the plugin and also how to reference a suitable webfont. The page is deliberately spartan in its use of CSS in order to avoid confusing the issue. Feel free to use this any way you like.

http://79.125.105.84/dmc/SeamusBeag.html

Signature 

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam.

Posted: 31 October 2011 07:17 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-26
aonghus - 31 October 2011 04:35 PM

Go deas cinnte, ach gan na foinsí don JScript conas is féidir aiṫris a ḋeanaṁ air?

Toisc gur javascript atá i gceist i gcás jQuery plugin, níl aon foinse. Tá an plugin nascaithe díreach ón leathanach. Déan right click agus ‘View Source’ - is féidir leat nasc don plugin a fheiceáil sa dara ‘[removed]’.

Posted: 31 October 2011 07:20 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-26
Daithí Mac Cormaic - 31 October 2011 07:17 PM
aonghus - 31 October 2011 04:35 PM

Toisc gur javascript atá i gceist i gcás jQuery plugin, níl aon foinse. Tá an plugin nascaithe díreach ón leathanach. Déan right click agus ‘View Source’ - is féidir leat nasc don plugin a fheiceáil sa dara ‘[removed]’.

‘script’ in ionad ‘removed’...

Posted: 31 October 2011 07:51 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-27
Caoimhín - 31 October 2011 05:15 PM

I’ve seen more than one reference to Daltai.com at IGT, for example (and you’ll find more than one reference to IGT here) where one member was suggesting the board to another as a means to find an answer to a question. In context, it’s obvious that people are just trying to help, not draw traffic from one site at the expense of another.

So, a one-time post to publicize a new resource is welcome. Contextually appropriate mention of that resource is appropriate too. It’s all a matter of degree - and courtesy.

It’s funny you should mention IGT, as that’s one site I don’t use myself! smile The people behind it have relaunched as the Irish Learners’ Forum, after the original site was bought out and effectively ruined. It’s a great resource, but I’m not involved in the running of it.

I’m one of the 2 administrators on http://www.foramnagaeilge.com, a new Irish discussion board. I’ve been pushing it mostly through Facebook and Twitter, but I also posted about it a few times last month on the old Daltaí boards.
I also moderate Boards.ie’s Teach na nGealt, but that gets much lower traffic than it deserves.

I guess a directory of on-line, Irish-language resources and outlets might be the best thing for mentioning other useful sites. Certainly for other voluntary/not-for-profit sites. My philosophy is that sites with similar goals should support each other instead of competing, but I appreciate that it’s not always possible to do so. I’m not going to play outside of the rules here anyway, so thanks for responding to my question earlier.

Posted: 31 October 2011 08:00 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-26
Caoimhín - 31 October 2011 05:20 PM

Daithí,

very kind of you and thank you for taking the time to put together an example.

It may take a little while, but I will add it.

Caoimhín

You’re very welcome. Just looking at your page structure now and I see that each post is contained within a ‘div’ tag of class ‘post’. So if you’re hacking around with this, the required line of code to invoke the seanchlo plugin would simply look like this:

$("div.post").seanchlo("convert"); 

In addition to converting the h-suffixed consonants to dotted consonants, the plugin’s convert method also adds the .seanchlo CSS class to every matching element in the operative jQuery [removed]i.e. every div.post in your case). The trick then, obviously enough, is to define the .seanchlo class in your own CSS to have whatever style you desire. You can see in my sample webpage that the .seanchlo CSS class just sets the font-family to the name of a dynamically loaded webfont. You will presumably want to do this and perhaps also adjust other font-related styles to make it look good. I find it necessary to set both the letter-spacing and line-height to make a Seanchló font look good on screen.

3 of 3