Remember Me? forgot password?

2 of 3
New Look
Posted: 27 October 2011 05:10 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  643
Joined  2011-10-26

It doesn’t work… I use a French keyboard (with no numeric keypad)

Signature 

Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste
Agus is í Gaeilg Ghaoth Dobhair is binne

Posted: 27 October 2011 06:58 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-03-18

Faber,

where did it go bad?

Caoimhín

Signature 

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam.

Posted: 27 October 2011 07:35 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-26

tá an site seo ag breathnú go hiontach, fair play

Posted: 30 October 2011 09:01 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2011-10-30

I welcome the new site and congratulate those who took the trouble to develop it.

I have a few questions and comments which I hope will be taken as positive and constructive.

Regarding the “cló” I would prefer to read and write now in the script I have used for the last forty years.  I loved the “sean-chló Gaelach” once.  I used it exclusively up to my twenties.  I found it difficult and sad to have to use the “haitches” but knowing that I was going to continue using Irish throughout my life I made the change.  I can still read and write the “sean-chló Gaelach” but I don’t write it now.

There are two major streams associated with Irish nowadays—the antiquarian - those who look to the past and do wonderfully valuable work preserving and promoting the literature and folklore of former days and reconstructing dialects not spoken now and supporting others that are still alive.

The other stream consists of those of us who look to the future and want to use Irish in as many domains of modern life as possible.  We look to the future with hope.  We use whatever vocabulary we learnt at school supplemented by our reading and our listening and frequent visits to GLÉACHT and FOCAL.IE To me the “sean-chló Gaelach” looks quaint and old-fashioned.  It looks awful with the haitches.

Posted: 30 October 2011 09:10 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-26

I agree with Jeaicín there, while it is lovely to look at its only really used ceremonially for headers etc, in the here and now I doubt there is hardly a soul who uses it when writing Irish, and it adds a complication for any new learners who come here. Personally I love the seanchlo and use it in things like birthday cards, but I’m glad it’s gone back to roman text or whatever it is the sites using now.

Posted: 30 October 2011 09:48 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-30

Ceist bheag eile: why does the word “Núíosach” appear before every post?

Posted: 30 October 2011 12:27 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2011-10-27

Ceist bheag eile: why does the word “Núíosach” appear before every post?

It also appears directly beneath our names in our profiles - maybe it means we’re all newbies.  grin

Posted: 30 October 2011 02:12 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-10-26

Focal.ie to the rescue:

núíosach fir1
gu: núíosaigh, ai: núíosaigh, gi: núíosach
(RECRUIT, NOVICE, BEGINNER)
tyro s

I didn’t even Tyro was a word in English, Mirriam-Webster has it defined as:
: a beginner in learning : novice

Posted: 30 October 2011 03:21 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2011-10-25

New look - newbies! grin

Posted: 30 October 2011 08:18 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-03-18

Better?

Caoimhín

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2011 05:50 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-30

Yes.  Better.

Originally, in my confusion, I thought Lughaidh had adopted the name “núíosach” and I couldn’t understand why his nick-name was appearing before every message.

If the name appeared within the highlighted cell it might be better still.  Having the name outside on a white background and other information inside a highlighted cell with a dark-green button—that serves no purpose, I clicked, there’s no link grin—diminishes the impact of the name.  I’m not complaining.  Just a slow learner taking time to get familiar with the new site.  I’m delighted it is up and running and thank all involved for their voluntary efforts.  Maith sibh. 

Any chance of having the English/Irish version in ordinary English script?  It is what we use here in Ireland when we write to each other. We do use Irish for secret messages: the note on the front door, for example,  “Tá an eochair faoin mbláthphróca” or better still “i gcró an ghadhair.” The Irish only side could then be presented in the seanchló. It’s not a major issue but for us in Ireland it goes against the grain,  suggesting that Irish is only a quaint curious medium to be filed away with shilelaghs, shamrocks,  leprechauns, The Quiet Man, and Plastic Paddy pub ballads,  something to sell to tourists. 

It is an unpleasant experience for me to try and read English in the Gaelic script.  My eye expects Irish sounds and has to break the long-established connection with Irish in order to read English. :-(  My association with the seanchló Gaelach began about 1945.  It was never used for English.  I am conditioned to expect the sounds of Irish when I see it.  Otherwise my mind relegates the text to tourist curios made in China.  It is not authentic.

Here’s my last “proofing” query: why “General discussion” for the English//Irish forum and “Gaeilge oscailte” for the other?  What does that mean?  “General discussion” in Irish would be “Plé ginearálta.” 

Would we get more participants in the “Irish only” section if we were allowed to discuss all human life there?  If we know Irish well do we still have to confine ourselves to Irish grammar, lexicography, usage, and spelling?  Can we not congratulate Michael D and explain to the six others that their failure to learn Irish before putting themselves forward as candidates did not help.  Saying they will learn Irish if elected President is a bit too Irish.  The most disappointed candidate comes from a party that would certainly consign Irish to the realm of leipreacháns and shillelaghs.

Posted: 31 October 2011 06:36 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2011-10-27

So we’re all now “chomaltas” - I feel like a just got a promotion of sorts. 

A Chaoimhín, can I take all my previous postings from all my past usernames and trade them in for a higher rank than chomaltas? 

JUST KIDDING.  cheese

Posted: 31 October 2011 07:02 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-10-26
Jeaicín - 31 October 2011 05:50 AM

Any chance of having the English/Irish version in ordinary English script?  It is what we use here in Ireland when we write to each other. We do use Irish for secret messages: the note on the front door, for example,  “Tá an eochair faoin mbláthphróca” or better still “i gcró an ghadhair.” The Irish only side could then be presented in the seanchló. It’s not a major issue but for us in Ireland it goes against the grain,  suggesting that Irish is only a quaint curious medium to be filed away with shilelaghs, shamrocks,  leprechauns, The Quiet Man, and Plastic Paddy pub ballads,  something to sell to tourists. 

It is an unpleasant experience for me to try and read English in the Gaelic script.  My eye expects Irish sounds and has to break the long-established connection with Irish in order to read English. :-(  My association with the seanchló Gaelach began about 1945.  It was never used for English.  I am conditioned to expect the sounds of Irish when I see it.  Otherwise my mind relegates the text to tourist curios made in China.  It is not authentic.

Personally as someone who has lived his whole life (nearly 30 years and counting) in Ireland I don’t feel this way at all. To me the Seanchló is just another font type. No different then “Time New Roman” or Arial. Mainly because it was never used in teaching Irish in school etc. I don’t see anything “Quaint” (that dreaded word) in it. Tbh I would have loved to have learnt how to write it in school. Instead we had “cursive calligaraphy”

I don’t think most people my age who have an interest in the language regarded it as quaint at all. If anything we probably regarded as a cultural artifact that was sacrificed on the “alter of financial cost” by Mandarins in the departments of Finance/Education.

Posted: 31 October 2011 07:03 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-03-18

Thanks for your comments Jeaicín.

What font you see is dependent on what fonts you have installed. If memory serves correctly, most here preferred the seanchló, but we are certainly willing to entertain removing it.

As for off-topic discussion, we do allow some leeway in that area, provided it is “polite and related to the Irish language. There are other boards where politics can be explored and debated at length.

Caoimhín

Jeaicín - 31 October 2011 05:50 AM

Any chance of having the English/Irish version in ordinary English script? 

Would we get more participants in the “Irish only” section if we were allowed to discuss all human life there?

Signature 

Posted: 31 October 2011 07:24 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-10-27
Caoimhín - 31 October 2011 07:03 AM

As for off-topic discussion, we do allow some leeway in that area, provided it is “polite and related to the Irish language. There are other boards where politics can be explored and debated at length.

On the topic of general discussion, some posters here may recognise my user-name from a number of other Gaeilge discussion-forums. I post on one, moderate a second and administrate on a third. Is there any rule against mentioning these other sites? I know I’d consider it spam if someone tried to promote themselves on one of my forums without asking me first.

2 of 3