Is breá liom an cló gaelach!

Signature 

Fáilte roimh ceartúcháin!

Posted: 26 October 2011 02:10 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2011-10-26

I definately like the new look and all the new options! An-mhaith!

Signature 

Canann an teanga seo i d’fhuil….

Posted: 26 October 2011 03:54 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Total Posts:  643
Joined  2011-10-26

Nil an clo Gaelach ro-olc ach is fearr liom nuair a bios na fior r-annai agus na fior s-annai ann agus na poncannai in ait na n-h-annai grin

Signature 

Is fearr Gaeilg chliste ná Gaeilg bhriste
Agus is í Gaeilg Ghaoth Dobhair is binne

Posted: 26 October 2011 04:08 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-10-26

Tá an ceart agat, a Lughaidh, ach níor mhaith liom a fhiafraí barraíocht.  cheese

(Tá na “smileys” iontach aisteach anseo!)

Dara an scéal - cha dhearna mé dearmad faoin leabhar sin; tá mo scanóir briste agus i ndiaidh cheannacht an leabhar daor sin, chan fhuil airgead go leor agam fá scanóir nua a fháil roimh an tuarastal eile. Tá brón orm, ach déanfar é chomh luath is féidir liom.)

Signature 

Posted: 26 October 2011 04:18 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-10-26

Punc’s work for me, I was able to use them in my username:

Likewise for ɼ and ⁊

-Duḃṫaċ

Posted: 26 October 2011 05:20 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-10-26

Cén chaoi a’ bhfuair sibh an cló gaelach?

Posted: 26 October 2011 05:25 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-10-26

Fuair tú cheana féin!  grin

Signature 

Posted: 26 October 2011 05:30 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-10-26

Ní fheicimse é!

Posted: 26 October 2011 05:54 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-10-26

Más fearr leat na foirmeaċa Róṁánaċ de ‘s’ agus ‘r’:

http://www.gaelchlo.com/bungc.zip

Más fearr leat na sean-ḟoirmeaċa de ‘s’ agus ‘r’:

http://www.gaelchlo.com/bunargc.zip

Posted: 26 October 2011 08:52 PM   Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-26

Cha ndéanann sé lá duifir, is iad na r-annaí agus na s-annaí Rómhánacha a tchím go fóill…

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2011 01:30 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-26

Usually they map the old r and s to different unicode points. In this case on US-Gaeilge keyboard

\ + r = ɼ  (long r)
\ + s = ſ  (long s)

—edit—
Here’s a screenshot I did

http://compsoc.nuigalway.ie/~dubhthach/daltai-clo.png

Posted: 27 October 2011 04:00 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-26
duḃṫaċ - 27 October 2011 01:30 AM

Usually they map the old r and s to different unicode points. In this case on US-Gaeilge keyboard

\ + r = ɼ  (long r)
\ + s = ſ  (long s)

Writing text with long ‘r’ and ‘s’ at the non-standard unicode points is discouraged. It is preferable to use a font that renders the long forms of these letters from the standard unicode points (e.g. Bunchló Ársa rather than Bunchló). I read a good article about this a few months ago but can’t find it now unfortunately. One very practical point though that I do remember from the article is that it seriously compromises the ability of web and desktop search engines to find words and phrases. Imagine that somebody is searching for blog posts about sweets so they type ‘milseáin’ using the standard ‘s’ into the search box. This will not find occurrences that have used the non-standard ‘s’.

In more general terms, using the non-standard uincode points violates the principle of separating content from presentation by specifying how the ‘s’ or ‘r’ show appear rather than simply the fact that it is an ‘s’ or ‘r’. See the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_presentation_and_content

Posted: 27 October 2011 04:13 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-26
Daithí Mac Cormaic - 27 October 2011 04:00 AM
duḃṫaċ - 27 October 2011 01:30 AM

\ + r = ɼ  (long r)
\ + s = ſ  (long s)

Writing text with long ‘r’ and ‘s’ at the non-standard unicode points is discouraged. It is preferable to use a font that renders the long forms of these letters from the standard unicode points (e.g. Bunchló Ársa rather than Bunchló). I read a good article about this a few months ago but can’t find it now unfortunately. One very practical point though that I do remember from the article is that it seriously compromises the ability of web and desktop search engines to find words and phrases. Imagine that somebody is searching for blog posts about sweets so they type ‘milseáin’ using the standard ‘s’ into the search box. This will not find occurrences that have used the non-standard ‘s’.

In more general terms, using the non-standard uincode points violates the principle of separating content from presentation by specifying how the ‘s’ or ‘r’ show appear rather than simply the fact that it is an ‘s’ or ‘r’. See the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_presentation_and_content

Both long r and long s have been part of unicode since 1993 (Unicode 1.1) so I’m not sure about your point on then been “non-standard codepoints”. However I do agree regarding separation of content from presentation. My point been it is possible to display both using the fonts that I see on this site.

The other thing also affected for searching would of course be the Punc’s. I would imagine the ideal way around such would be to have a RegEx in the search function that would map between say ċ <-> ch etc.

Posted: 27 October 2011 04:27 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Comhalta
Rank
Joined  2011-10-26
duḃṫaċ - 27 October 2011 04:13 AM

Both long r and long s have been part of unicode since 1993 (Unicode 1.1) so I’m not sure about your point on then been “non-standard codepoints”.

Come now…you know exactly what I mean. I mean non-standard in the sense of not a Roman letter ‘s’ or ‘r’. Yes, it would have been more technically accurate for me to say ‘non-Roman’ but the substance of my point remains the same. Those on this thread who are non-technical will not be well served by us nerds being pedantic with our language. For example, I should strictly have said ‘typeface’ rather than ‘font’ in what I wrote before but this term is not as clearly understood so I avoided it.

Posted: 27 October 2011 05:08 AM   Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Comhalta
RankRank
Joined  2011-10-26

An oib\reann \sé? (te\sting)

Signature 

1 of 3