lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » General Discussion (Irish and English) » My Munster Irish Library: Continued... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daveat168
Username: Daveat168

Post Number: 141

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 04:34 am:   Small TextLarge TextEdit PostPrint Post

The thread, "My Munster Irish Library", from which this is a continuation, seems to have been archived and locked while there is yet business. See:
<http://www.daltai.com/discus/messages/20/55334.html?1318370129>
Work on Catilína is nearing completion, about two more days' work.
The library site is on Box.net, at:
<http://www.box.net/shared/r4hboh9mgj212z1o5m2l>
and the book presently worked on is in the PÓLeary folder, subfolder: Translations.
Link to the actual work file, (pdf), is:
<http://www.box.net/shared/fnydft5vd3byb0c2agd9>
The net project will be to scan mmy copy of Norman Moore's Windische.
It was falling apart when I got it, and was not fit to face the scanner, but I have restitched it, and it is now nearly as good as new, so that will be next week's job.

Is mise,le meas,
Deghebh.

Daveat168

Post Number: 142

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Small TextLarge TextEdit PostPrint Post

Continuing Progress with Catilína
Now up to page 88.
That completes 'Page 54'
Only four more pages, then it's open season on proof-readers.

Is mise,le meas,
Deghebh.

Davemc
Username: Davemc

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:47 am:   Small TextLarge TextEdit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I love what you're doing here! The only thing I'm wondering is why, having gone to the trouble of re-typesetting the document, you have then gone with a very un-traditional looking seanchló typeface. It could be that you're prioritising on-screen legibility, in which case I suppose Gael BX mightn't be a bad choice...but it isn't pretty like the typeface in the original book. Have you played around with Vincent Morley's typefaces? Attached is your first page as it appears using Bunchló Ársa.

Le meas,

Daithí.
application/pdf
Catilina Page 1 - Bunchló Ársa.pdf (20.6 k)

Jeaicín
Username: Jeaicín

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 01:18 pm:   Small TextLarge TextEdit PostPrint Post

Tá an cló sin go hálainn dar liom.

Feicim botún cló sa dara alt: Uime sin is cirte ... ("t" seachas "c")

Tréaslaím le Daveat168 a chuid oibre. Sár-obair. Bainfear leas as.

Davemc
Username: Davemc

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 04:19 pm:   Small TextLarge TextEdit PostPrint Post

Me again. Here's something else that Daveat168 might like to consider. If you use HTML as the format for the documents you're producing (instead of or in addition to Word and PDF), you can have something that can be easily switched by the viewer from seanchló to Roman and vice versa. Using the Catilína document from your box.net folder, I spent a couple of hours this evening putting together something to illustrate what I mean. The following should work in any modern browser and has been tested on IE, Chrome and Firefox (it is faster and slightly prettier in Chrome and Firefox):

http://79.125.105.84/dmc/Catilina.html

As you can see, using the radio buttons in the floating panel in the top-left corner, you can switch between the two styles.

This is a bit of a rough and ready proof of concept and I've no doubt that somebody will find glitches. A very obvious one is that when going from Roman back to seanchló and therefore reversing the conversion of dotted consonants to consonants followed by 'h', it should ignore English words. You don't want "Sir Philip Chambers" becoming "Sir Ṗilip Ċambers".

Note too that key to this is the ability of modern browsers to download fonts from the server on-the-fly if a user doesn't have the required seanchló font installed on their computer. Not all typeface designers are happy for their work to be used in this way and this would need to be clarified with Vincent Morley if this was to go any further than this proof of concept.

Le meas,

Daithí.

Daveat168

Post Number: 143

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 05:44 pm:   Small TextLarge TextEdit PostPrint Post

A Dhaithí, a chara,

Yes, that is a good idea. It is however not something I would choose to do.
My idea at this stage is to re-typeset the book in a more readable font, and Seanchló Arsa is not a candidate for learners of the older spelling.
The idea of producing a pdf is that it can be printed if a hard copy is required, and the slavish adherance to the original page nd line is to assist cross-reference for proofing.
Once everyone is happy, anyone can play about with the doc file as they please, as long as the original is left as-is.
If you are interested, the next phase of Catilína is to retypeset Shán Ó Cuív's LS version, and, if anyone is brave enough, to consider my proposed modifications to LS, to reduce its ambiguities, which may cause problems to non native Irish learners.
The LS text for the linked version will be matched by line and page to PUL's original.
LS will give us the best possible understanding of how PUL's dialect sounded, as sound recordings from that era are few, and far between, and of very poor quality.

As an aside, progress reports have caused annoyance to some here, so they will be discontinued.
I have a Google Blog called 'My Munster Irish Library', and I will post my progress reports there.
The link for the blog is:
<http://deghebh.blogspot.com>

Is mise,le meas,
Deghebh.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge