lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 2005- » 2005 (January-February) » Archive through February 18, 2005 » An Teanga Bheo - Gaeilge Mhaigh Eo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonas
Username: Jonas

Post Number: 640

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Does anyone know anything about what happened to the book An Teanga Bheo . Gaeilge Mhaigh Eo? Three books in the series were published years ago, one dealing with Corca Dhuibhne (really good one, one with Connemara (a huge disappointment) and one with Ulster (not bad, but too wide an area). Already at that stage, there was talk of three other books - one for Mayo, one for Clear Island and one for An Rinn. The one on Clear Island, Gaeilge Chléire, appeared about two years ago and is the best one this far. I'd really recommend it for anyone interested in any West Munster (Cork and Kerry) dialect, since they are all virtually the same one. However, I've been waiting - impatiently, I might add - for the one on Mayo. It would be just the kind of book I couldn't wait to get my hands on. Does anyone know what on earth happened to it?

(Message edited by jonas on February 11, 2005)

Lughaidh
Username: Lughaidh

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Is there a project for it or is it just a dream you have?

I’d like to get it when it is published because I’ve got the 4 others :)

The one on Donegal Irish is really good, but maybe, as u said, the area is too wide, much difference between Teelin Irish and Ros Goill Irish. And when they gove different forms for the same thing, they don’t say where they are used.

Jonas

Post Number: 643

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

It is definitely a project, although it's dream to have a book in Mayo Irish equalling the full Gaeilge Chorca Dhuibhne (the 400p version, not the Teanga Bheo). Just like you, I have the four others, as well as all the books in the "The Irish of X"-series. And just as you say, Teelin, Tory and Ros Goill are quite different. My own favourite is of course that of Gaoth Dobhair and Na Rósaí. Although it's the dialect I know least of, I find it very beautiful.

Lughaidh

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Na Rosa, not na Rósaí (which means "the roses" ;) ). Gen.plural na Rosann.

Yeah, Gaoth Dobhair Irish is the one I prefer as well - i would have liked it even if it wasn't my own dialect :) (sorry for tense sequence, I'm not good at it in English. In a more correct language: Bhíodh dúil agam inti murbh í mo chanúint í féin.

Lughaidh

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

There is one complete description of the dialect of Ros Muc as well, here: http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=277 1

Is it good? I’d like to make stuff like that on Gweedore Irish and on my breton dialects.

Peadar_Ó_gríofa
Username: Peadar_Ó_gríofa

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Caint Ros Muc is perhaps not so much a "complete description" as a straightforward presentation of the dialect, but yes, it's good. Volume I contains xxx pages of front matter (all in Irish) and 406 pages of conversations transcribed from tape recordings in orthographic form, without translation, and with phonetic transcription used only in footnotes to point out special pronunciations.

For example, a sentence on the first page of "Caint 1" reads:

Agus cuimhnímse an dtuigeann tú ar thús m'aimsire², [an] t-am a raibh mé in éineacht le m'athair an dtuigeann tú i mo stócach, go raibh an aimsir míle céad uair níos fearr ná atá sí anois.

The footnote in reference to that sentence reads:

²/er´ u:s nэ, er´ hu:s mэ hæm´∫эr´э/, meascán idir na haimsire agus m'aimsire.

The seven speakers are named in a table which also shows their ages at the time of the recordings (in 1964), their levels of education and occupations, and whether they had been abroad and for how long.

Volume II contains the vocabulary used in Volume I, with phonetic transcription indicating the usual pronunciation, and without translation. The names of the speakers are abbreviated M, Ma, Mi, S, Se, To and T, and the vocabulary entries show how many times each speaker used the word or phrase in question. For words and phrases other than those of highest frequency, the entries also tell you where to find each occurrence.

agus
agus — agэs, ogэs
M ...
1202 ...

If you wonder how they pronounced "cuimhnímse," you'll find the following:

cuimhnigh¹
cuimhnigh — ki:m´r´э
2-03-02M
cuimhníonn, chuimhníonn, gcuimhníonn — ki:m´r´i:N

At the top of the next page it tells where to find the sixteen occurrences of "cuimhníonn" and its mutated forms, and that's followed by the subentry for the sixteen occurrences of "cuimhním" and its lenited and eclipsed forms:

cuimhním(se), chuimhním, gcuimhním — ki:m´r´i:m´(s´э)
1-01-02M, 1-02-02M2, 2-09-02T...

Peadar Ó Gríofa

Peadar_Ó_gríofa

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Mícheál Ó Mainnín is the man to ask about the book on Mayo Irish.
http://www.qub.ac.uk/lla/cel/momainnin.htm

I sent him a message once, telling him:

"I'm glad to see you're doing a book on Mayo Irish, and I hope it's just the beginning of a much bigger project that really should have been carried out decades ago and which, if well executed and adequately promoted, could do a vast amount of good for the language in that county and throughout Ireland..."

I didn't get an answer to that, but I hope he's alive and well and has done the job and the book will be out soon, or that it's been delayed because he has in fact made a "bigger project" of it.

I'm afraid Mícheál Ó Siadhail is now too busy being "Micheal O'Siadhail" and writing poetry in English to be talked into returning to the field of Celtic Studies to do a Mayo version of "Learning Irish" (or something bigger), and I don't suppose he wants to be bothered, but you never know — sometimes popular demand works wonders...
http://www.osiadhail.com/

Peadar Ó Gríofa

Jonas

Post Number: 645

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Nach ait é sin, deirtear ansan go bhfuil "An teanga bheo: Maigh Eo" foilsithe aige cheanna féin...

Peadar_Ó_gríofa

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Bhí sé le foilsiú anuraidh, nó bhí sé dá scríobh, ach níl a fhios agam céard a tharlaidh.

Peadar Ó Gríofa

©Daltaí na Gaeilge