lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2004 (October-December) » Archive through October 30, 2004 » Average age? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diarmuid
Username: Diarmuid

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post

What do guys think the roundabouts average age of participants on this site and Irish speakers in general is? For example is there many people on this site around my age, 17?

Jonas
Username: Jonas

Post Number: 473

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I don't think there are that many who are under 18 but I welcome everyone of them! I'm 26.

Lúcas
Username: Lúcas

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Welcome Diarmuid. I'm 54.

Mise le meas,

Lúcas

Diarmuid

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Print Post

why thankyou Lucas. By the way I have been posting on this site for most of this year, maybe just havent come accross my posts.

Go raibh maith agat
Diarmuid

Diarmo
Username: Diarmo

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ta 27 bhliain agamsa!

Lúcas

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry, Diarmuid, I have seen your name here before. I just didn't make the connection. Chalk it up as another senior moment.

Mise le meas,

Lúcas

Diarmuid

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Print Post

No harm done! I can see where you may have become confused as I did just become a member this very morning.

Diarmuid

Aonghus
Username: Aonghus

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ar mhaithe leis an staidreamh - táimse 36, sílim.

Ó_diocháin
Username: Ó_diocháin

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A chairde.
Tá 44 bhliain agamsa!
Slán beo!
Chris

James
Username: James

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Agus mo féin? Tá 42 bhliain agam.

Jonas

Post Number: 475

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hmmmm, this is a prime example of the danger of 'copy and paste' :-)

Everyone looks to have followed the first examples with "tá X bhliain agam". Unfortunately, it's wrong in many ways.

A better way to say your age is, as in my case, Táim 26 mbliana d'aois. That is read out Táim sé mbliana is fiche d'aois.

Apart from the faulty construction with "tá X agam" to convey age, please note that:
bliain is the singular form
blianta is the normal plural from
bliana is the special plural, used with numbers. When saying your age, that form is the to use.

Jimnuaeabhrac
Username: Jimnuaeabhrac

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Táim 40 mbliana d'aois.

Aingeal
Username: Aingeal

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Táim 24 mbliana d'aois.

Pádaigh (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.154.96.97
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Should y'all get around to awarding a prize to the geezer with the greatest longevity, send it to me. Táim 67 mbliana d'aois. No wonder no one seems to know what I'm talking about whenever I wax nostalgic and go on about the days of hand-cranked automobiles and outdoor toilets.

PS: I'm a member, but I forgot to log in.

Natalie
Username: Natalie

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Well you may be the oldest but until someone younger posts on here, I guess I'm the youngest.

Táim 16 mbliana d'aois.

Natalie

Diarmuid

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

cool. Hey Nat, how long have you been learning Gaeigle?

Tj_mg
Username: Tj_mg

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

J'ai 18 ans/Táim 18 mbliana d'aois.

Diarmuid

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thats supposed to be Gaeilge by the way...

Diarmuid

Diarmuid

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Print Post

After looking at the diverse range of background and age here i find myself wondering what compelled you all to start learning/speaking the language?

Diarmuid

Aonghus

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Tógadh le Gaeilge mé.

Ó_diocháin

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A chairde,
All four of my grandparents were Irish, two of them being Irish speakers.
I went to Ireland in 1989 to teach Spanish and Catalan in a university there and I decided to take up the opportunity of attending an Irish class for staff. It was a disaster - for any number of reasons that I won't bore you with!
Several years later, when back teaching in Scotland, I was responsible for managing an evening class programme for the university where I worked and I thought that it would be a good idea to introduce Irish.
We did, and the classes were a great success, with an excellent teacher using the BBCNI course Now You're Talking to teach a "Northern Standard" variety of Irish. Through his influence and with the advent of digital TV and the Internet, I've dabbled a wee bit more seriously in Irish each year.
My research on language policy and planning in Spain, especially Catalonia, has lead me to making a lot of good contacts on the Irish (and Ulster Scots) language scenes in the North.
So for me Irish is a general interest, because of my family background, but is also related to the work that I do.
Slán beo!
Chris

Aguisín: I haven't made nearly as much progress with the language as a "linguist" really should have done after 15 years of dabbling!

Poblachtach
Username: Poblachtach

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A O diochan , parlas Catalá ? Estic aprenent ara!. Ho que aprende es mes valencá que catalá pero son molts paraguts , casi la matiexa. ancara estic fet una braga amb la llengau aixa pero poquet a poquet ho aprenderá .

Aonghus

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Poblachtach: an bhfuil seo ceart?

"A Ó Diocháin, an bhfuil Catalonais agat? (Níl fhios agam faoin abairt seo) Tá an rud a fhoghlaimíse ina valencino seachas catalónais,ach tá siad an-chosúil, beagnach mar an gcéanna. Táim fós ag (rud éigin) an teanga ach beagán ar bheagán táim ag foghlaim"

Jonas

Post Number: 477

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Tá, tá sé ana-mhaith ar fád cé nach dtuigim cad na thaobh go dtabharfá "valencino" ar "valencià" Táimse féin ag foghlaim na teangan, chun na fírinne a rá - is féidir liom í a léamh réasúnta ach níl an teanga labhartha ró-mhaith agam...

Poblachtach agus Chris, an rabhabhair ar an suíomh so?
http://www.geocities.com/soho/cafe/9308/

Ana-dheas ar fád!

Diarmo

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A friend of mine from Valencia said that it is a dialect of Catalan...and she's a native speaker.

Ó_diocháin

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A chairde,
Tá Catalonais liofa agam le blas "Barcelona". Tá mé an teanga ag foghlaim le fiche bliain. (Céist agam oraibh - is this a case where you use a singular form after a numeral?).
The Catalan/Valencian distinction is highly controversial - and that is a controversy that I generally try to steer well clear of. There is a useful degree of mutual intelligibility between the "languages/dialects" in all fields - and in fact they are generally entirely mutually comprehensible.
Slán beo!
Chris

Rómán (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.197.173.4
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I don't know ANY Spanish. But my thesaurus of international words was enough to understand that this quote answers fully to this question:

La lengua de los valencianos ha sido siempre clasificada como un dialecto occidental del catalán, es decir, que muestra coincidencias fonéticas, léxicas y morfológicas con los dialectos catalanes de la provincia de Lleida y sur de Tarragona.

Aonghus

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Chris, is mar seo a dearfhainnse an méid a dúirt tú:-
Tá mé an teanga ag foghlaim na teangan le fiche bliain.

Bhíos ag iarraidh ainm cheart an canúint/teanga úd a úsaid "valencino" an rud a bhí i'm cheann.

D'fhoghlaim mé spáinnis agus mé naoi bliana d'aois, (chaith mé samhradh cois trá in Almunecar) ach toisc nár chleacht mé í tá meirg uirthi. Buille faoi thuairim a bhí sá mhéid a scríos thuas, bunaithe ar spáinnis. Nílim a maoimh gurbh canúint í Catala (sula dtarraingím achrann orm fhéin) ach go bhfuilid gaolmhar go leor chun iarracht dá léithéid a dhéanamh.

Ó_diocháin

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Aonghuis, a chara,
Go raibh maith agat as do theachtaireacht.
Le meas,
Chris

Aineolaí_na_gaeilge
Username: Aineolaí_na_gaeilge

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

tá mé seacht mbliana déag d'aoic chomh maith!

Aonghus

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ba cheart dom a rá nach bhfuil an "n" (na teangan) de réir an chaighdeáin. Ach ní thagann "ag foghlaim na teanga" dem theanga gan truaiplis a bhaint as

Diarmo

Post Number: 54

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

For those interested in knowing about the different dialects of Catalan...write to me at diarmuidh at rushpost.com..I found some info. but I think it would be too long a post to put here!

Jonas

Post Number: 478

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Oh no, it most certainly wouldn't :-)

Diarmo

Post Number: 55

Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Explanation of the dialects*:

1. Valencian is rich in Arabisms, and just as Spanish pronunciation and sounds are distinct from other Romance languages because of Arabic, so do Valencian pronunciations and sounds spring from the mozarabic influence. Some vocabulary differences include using "hui" instead of "avui", "açí" instead of "aqui", "torcar" instead of "eixugar", "espill" instead of "mirall", "colomello" instead of "ullal", "aplegar" for "arribar", "boçar" for "vomitar" and "queradilla" for "patàta." Some pronunciation differences include nouns that, for me, end in "-ada" lose the "d" and sound like "-à" ("vesprà" instead of "vesprada"). Verbs that end in "-o" will instead end in "-e", so that "canto" becomes "cante." The article "jo" was, until recently, spelled and pronounced like the Italian "io". The "B" and "V" are indistinguishable.

2. Eivissenc, spoken in Eivissa (Ibiza) and Formentera, are subgroups of the Balearic dialects. In the plural masculine articles, the "-l-" is dropped so that "els peus" and "els ulls" become "es peus" and "es uis". Plural nouns that often end in "-es" will end in "-ens", so that "els homes" and "els àses" become "es homens" and "es àses". Nouns that would end in "-t" for me, drop the "-t" complete, so that "pont" and "alt" become "pon" and "al." Vocabulary differences include "dacsa" for what I would call "blat de moro", and "pebràs" for "rovelló." "B" and "V" are clearly distinguished.

3. Mallorquí, along with Menorcan and Eivissenc (Ibizan, includes Formentera) are the 3 Balearic dialects. Like Eivissenc, but unlike Valencian, they also distinguish strongly between the "B" and "V". The first person singular conjugation that, for me, ends in "-o" will drop the "-o" completely ("jo canto" becomes "jo cant"). Verbs ending in "-em" and "-eu" will instead end with "-am" and "-au" respectively, so that " cantem" and "canteu" become "cantam" and "cantau".

4. Lleidatà has, at first, similarities to Valencià, particularly with the use "-e" in the first person singular. It is perhaps closest to Medieval Català, particularly with its use of the article "lo" and "los", the conversion of "-y-" to "-i-" so that "pujar" becomes "puiar", and the conversion of "-ia" endings to "-eva" and "-iva" so that "feia" and "volia" become "feva" and "voliva." The "-tx" and "-x" are almost indistinguishable, and both pronounced strongly like a "-ch", so that "aixeca't" and "batxillerat" sound like "achecat" and "bachillerat".

5. Central, also known as "oriental central", is the so-called "standard", simply because Barcelona happens to be located in the area. But don’t think that the way people talk in Barcelona proper is identical to the rest of the central region. It isn't. In the north, "b" and "v" are distinguishable and the ending "-er" sounds like "-re" so that "vencer" sounds like "vensre". "Aquest" sounds like "aquet", but in the north it will sound like "aquest" again only if the next word begins with a vowel ("'aquet' vespre" but "aquest abric"). It will be the primary dialect of Catalan discussed in this group.

6. Rosellonés shares with the Central dialect it's pronunciation of unstressed "o" sounding like a "u", but it does it more so. The contemporary use of the "archaic" (?) use of "llur" and "llurs" is also prevalent, equivalent to the French "leur" and "leurs." Vocabulary differences include "oliu" or "olivera", "vespilles" for "espurnes," "peirer" for "paleta", "fedes" for "ovelles," "belleu" for "potser", "canart" for "ànec", "llapí" for "conill" and "forxeta" for "forquilla."

7. Alguerés preserves much of Medieval Catalan, perhaps more so than Lleidatà and Rosellonés. The "-l-" and "-d-" are often replaced by an "-r-" so that "palau" and "acabada" become "parau" and "acabara." The unstressed "e" will become an "a", so that "pare" and "terrat" are "para" and "tarrat." Vocabulary differences include "gonella" for "faldilla", "emprar" for "usar" (Mallorquí and Valencià also share this), "cascar" for "badallar", and Italianisms like "assai" for "molt".

Natalie

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry to get off topic but to answer the question, I have been learning Irish for maybe a year or two. Unfortunately it has mostly been off and on learning because I had to find time to go to school and do everything along with it. I have recently taken up trying to learn it full blow though and try to work on it every night instead of every couple of weeks. The only reason I started to learn the language, I'm ashamed to say, is because I thought of Ireland as only what you're stereotypically told and I started to become really interested in it and its culture and so on. I was looking up all the REAL stuff about it and came across the most peculiar fact, its first language wasn't english after all! I'm an ambitious person and so one day I just decided, I'm going to learn Irish. And here I am. :)

Natalie

kjhewfgberjhfbhs (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.86.165.103
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

mi 11

Seosamh Mac Muirí (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 193.1.100.104
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

... I was looking up all the REAL stuff about it and came across the most peculiar fact, its first language wasn't english after all! I'm an ambitious person and so one day I just decided, I'm going to learn Irish. And here I am. :)
Natalie

--- Maith an bhean Natalie! Tá fáilte romhat isteach.

... think the roundabouts average age of participants on this site and Irish speakers in general is? For example is there many people on this site around my age, 17?
Diarmuid.

--- Tá mé féin 54 bl. d'aois agus bhainfinn mullach cnoic amach chun tosaigh ar go leor atá faoi leath m'aoise! Measaim gur líonmhaire i bhfad na cainteoirí óga ná muintir Ghaeilge mo chomhaoise, ach tá mé ag déanamh nach dtosaíonn daoine ag caint na Gaeilge i gceart mar urlabhra go dtí tuairim is 20 nó 25 bl. d'aois.

Lúcas

Post Number: 17

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Here's a stemplot of the ages reported so far. It lists the ages in order with the tens digit removed and placed in front of a bracket '|' at the beginning of the line. For example, the lowest four ages reported are displayed on the first line below, namely; 16, 17, 17, and 18.

1 | 6 7 7 8
2 | 4 6 7
3 |
4 | 0 2 4
5 | 4 4
6 | 7

Note that the distribution is bimodal, i.e., no 'thirty somethings' showed up on this survey, and it is skewed towards the young.

Average Age = 34.3 years
Median Age = 27.0 years

(Message edited by lúcas on October 06, 2004)

Mise le meas,

Lúcas

Kay Uí Chinnéide (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 194.46.88.178
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Print Post

http://www.gaeilgenaseachtaine.com/eisceacht.html
A few years ago I placed this page on the web to help people with the "aois" problem - you need to scroll down a bit.

Hope this helps!

Kay

Aonghus

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Táimse tríocha rud éigin! 36!

Searlas
Username: Searlas

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Factoring in Aonghus' and my age (35), you get

Average Age = 34.5 years
Median Age = 35.0 years

Thanks, Lúcas. That was interesting to see the numbers!

Aonghus

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Dá bhrí sin, táimse agus Searlas i lár an aonaigh!

Lúcas

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Tabhair maithiúnas domh ar mo bhotún, a Aonghuis. GRMA don uimhir eile, a Shearlais. Tá sibhse i lár an tslua seo. Seo dhaoibh sonraí nua:

1 | 6 7 7 8
2 | 4 6 7
3 | 5 6
4 | 0 2 4
5 | 4 4
6 | 7

Mar a scríobh Searlas,

Meán Aois = 34.5 bliana
Aois Airmheán = 35.0 bliana

Seo dhaoibh na hainmneacha agus na aoiseanna ar an snáth seo:

1. Natalie 16
2. Diarmuid 17
3. Aineolaí_na_gaeilge 17
4. Tj_mg 18
5. Aingeal 24
6. Jonas 26
7. Diarmo 27
8. Searlas 35
9. Aonhus 36
10. Jimnuaeabhrac 40
11. James 42
12. Ó_diocháin 44
13. Lúcas 54
14. Seosamh Mac Muirí 54
15. Pádraig 67

An ndearna mé aon botún eile?

Mise le meas,

Lúcas

Lúcas

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Ba choir domh é sin a chur sa tuiseal ginideach, 'Aois Airmhéain = 35.0 bliana'

Mise le meas,

Lúcas

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

... agus tá mé 52 bl. d'aois

(Message edited by Larry on October 06, 2004)

Natalie

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

This is like math class all over again :) and if we were going to continue getting technical you could say that the mode is 17 and 54. Actually this is very interesting. The range of ages is 51 years! I think its very good that we all get along so well (or even semi-well)! :)

Natalie

Diarmuid

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

yes, Natalie its quite hard to think where else such a deverse range of people could all meet and get along so well! I aslo find it quite comforting that there is so many other people my age here that are equally or more so enthusiastic about learning the language!

Diarmuid

Pulling Top (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 193.1.100.102
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Táim ocht mbliana déag d'aois. Tá roinnt de mo chomhbhádoirí ag úsáid an suíomh seo faoi lathair. Táimid go léir ag caitheamh ár "pulling tops"! An bhfuil aithne ag éinne anseo ar suíomhanna iomanaíocht as Gaeilge?

cats (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Táim ocht mbliana déag d'aois. Tá roint de mo chomhleacaithe ag scríobh ag an am ceanna. Táimid go léir ag staidear na Gaeilge!!!!

Ailish (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Tá mé ocht mbliana déag d'aois. Tá roinnt de mo chombhádóirí ag scríobh ag an am céanna liom freisin.Tá mé ag staidéar an Ghaeilge i Ollscoil Luimneach agus táim sa chéad bhliain.

Ciara (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Tá mé ocht mbliana d'éag d'aois.Táim ag déanamh chéim sna teangacha feidhmeacha in ollcoil in Éirinn.Tá roinnt de mo chomhbhádóirí ag scriobh ag an am céanna liom.
Slán!!!

Séamas (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Tá mé seacht mbliana déag d'aois. Tá roinnt de mo chomhbháideoirí anseo liom sa rang!!!

Aoidhfe (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Táim ocht mbliana déag d'aois. tá mé féin agus na scoláire eile sa seomra liom ag iarraidh an aois chomheánach a tharraingt anuas... n'fheadar an oibreoidh sé!
aguisín: Tiobraid Árann abú, táim ag caitheamh mo 'pulling top'!!!!!!!! (mar go bhfiul corann na contae ar siúl an deireadh seachtaine seo chugainn agus tá camán nua faighte agam.....

FarQuad (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Táim 19 mbliana déag d'aois á chairde! Táim ag staidéar corpoideachais agus Gaeilge. Tá roint de mo chombhádoirí anseo liom, An bhfuil suim ag éinne anseo i gcúrsaí peile?

Eibhlin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Táim ocht mbliana déag d'aois. Tá roinnt de mo chomhleacaithe ag an am céanna liom. Is aoibhinn liom gaeilge agus táim ag deanamh gaeilge in Ollscoil Luimnigh agud baineann me an taitneamh as.

Sorcha (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Tá mé ocht mblian déag d'aois. Chuaigh mé go dtí bunscoil agus meánscoil lánghaelach agus anois táim á stáidéar ag an ollscoil! Sea Tadhg tá suim agam sa pheil!

niki (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest

Táim ocht mbliana déag d'aois.Tá roinnt de mo comhleacaithe ag scríobh sa seomra céanna liom faoi láthair.

Yawn (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Táim féin ocht mbliana déag d'aois. 'Sé seo mo chéad bhabhta ag scríobh ar an idirlíon agus an-sult á bhaint agam as a bheith ag méadú líon na bhfocal Gaeilge ann. Faoi láthair tá mé suite i rang in Ollscoil Luimnigh mar aon le slua ógánach. Tá sé mar sprioc againn an aois mheánach ar an suíomh seo a ísliú. Bail ó Dhia ar an obair!

Michéal (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Is mise Caoimhín.Táim fiche bliain déag daois.Tá roinnt de mo chomhleacaithe ag scríobh ag an am cheanna liom.Rugadh agus túgadh mé cois sléibhte géillte i gcontae Luimneach.Tá mé ag staidéar tengacha san ollscoil.

Simon
Username: Simon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Print Post

táim ocht mbliana déag d'aois. tá mé ag stiadéar an Gaeilge agus an Spáinnis, Gaillimh abú!!

Butler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Dia dhuit pulling top! Cloisim go bhfuil an county final agat an deireadh seachtaine seo. Beir bua!!!!!!! Seachan an balance

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Is é corp oideahas agus Gaeilge na hábhar a ba chóir do gach éinne stáidéar a dhéanamh ar! Baile Átha Cliath Abú!!!

Tipp (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Céard 'tá gorm, buí agus gnéasach tríd is tríd???? Mo pulling top!!!!!!

Paul (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.152.218.225
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Slua mór ag seoladh teachtaireachtaí ag an am chéana! Go hiontach. Fáilte romhaibh go léir. Ollscoil Luimnigh an ea? Tá cairde agam i gCorbally, is thug mé cuairt orthu i 2000.

Tá suim agam i gcúrsaí peile. Ar bhuaigh Ciarraí nó Maigh Eo an cluiche ceannais na hÉireann?

Slán tamall, Paul

Mr. T AKA Slimmer (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Tá mé 17 bliana d'aois agus 65 lá. An oiche aréir bhi beirt stumpai darbh ainm aoidhfe agus mairin. Thug Mr. T rud beag balance go mairin suas an buideal.Is i mairin bean bainisteoir. Rug se orainn agus chomh maith le mr. t a bheith ann bhi slimmer.

Na Déise (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Tá an ceart agat a Phóil. Rang a bhí sa seomra seo idir a 14.00 agus 15.00. Tá á fhios agam mar go bhfuil mé sa bhliain chéanna leo.

Éamonn (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Tá mé seacht mbliana déag d'aois a chairde.

Conall (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Tá me `8 mbliana deag d'aois.

Dearg
Username: Dearg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Táim 41 mbliana d'aois

Antóin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 159.134.180.238
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ó! Táimse san aoisghrúpa sin as a dtagann abairtí ag tosnú le -

"Sa lá atá inniu ann, bíonn an t-aos óg ....."

"Nuair a bhí mise óg ......"

"Tá an saol dulta chun donais ar fad"

Ach nílim chun m'aois a scaoileadh anseo ar an idirlíon. Oh no!

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 193.130.64.1
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hallo everyone...
Ghabh mi úidh airson an ionnsachaidh Gaeilge. Tha beagan Gáidhlig na h-Alba agam.
Tha mi sia bliadhna deug cuideachd, a Natalie.
- wilsonsamm

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 67.101.250.135
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hallo, Wilsonsamm:
Ciamar a tha thu?
Tha mi go math. Bha mi ag obair gu trang an diugh.
(I have a 'cupla focail' of Gaidhlig myself).

Le meas,
Paul

Fear_na_mbróg
Username: Fear_na_mbróg

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Print Post

It's really not that difficult to understand! I can make it out a bit:

Caidé mar atá tú?
Tá mise go maith. Bhí mé ag obair go traein(?) ar ndóigh(?).

Aonghus

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

go tréan, seans (go dúthrachtach, go crua)

an diugh = inniu

Fear_na_mbróg

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Well there's no denying that there's a link between the two languages!

So... pardon my ignorance here... just as Irish was spoken in Ireland at one time, was Scot's Gaelic spoken in Scotland at one time? And they both got replaced with English?

Seems like a collaborated effort to revive the two languages is in order!

Diarmo

Post Number: 60

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Gaidhlig is still alive Fear na mBrog!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/

It seems to me like a really beautiful langauge

I especially recommend Litir do Luchd-
Ionnsachaidh-there are sound files to accompany the letters written weekly by Roddy MacLean-you will find youself learning it easily I think!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/foghlam/litir/

Aonghus

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Is an teanga céanna a bhí i gceist ar dtús. Chuaigh na Gael go hAlban ó Éireann i dtús ama. Tá stair na hAlban casta, mar tá níos mó na pobal amháin ann.

Up to the Middle Ages "Scot" actually refered to someone from Ireland: e.g. Johannes Scotus Eriugena (Which basically means John, the Scot, born in Ireland!).

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.152.218.225
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Díreach glan, a Aonghuis.

Thosaigh mé Gaidhlig a fhoghlaim mí ó shin,
is tá me ag baint an-sult as an rang.
Níl ach triúr sa rang, agus tá foigne mór ag an múinteoir.

Tha latha briagha ann an diugh i New Jersey...
ach bha an t-uisge ann an dé.

Slán tamall,
Paul

Aonghus

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Print Post

uisce? Fearthainn, an ea?

Bhí píosa deas ag Lá le deanaí faoi ghirseach óg as Béal Feirste a ghlac páirt i gClár de chuid an BBC. Bhí Gaeilge aici fhéin, agus bhí cailín le Gaidhlig ann, agus buachaill le Cumrais (Breatnais). Thuig cailín Béal Feirste cailín na hAlban.

Tá Gaidhlig níos gaire do chanúint an Tuaiscirt ná do aon chanúint Éireannach eile.

Jonas

Post Number: 504

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

A, tha mi a' faicinn gu bheil sibh a' bruidhinn Gàidhlig an-diugh! Bha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig nuair a bha mi nas òige agus is urrainn dhomh i a thuigsinn gu math ach tha i a' lagachadh 'nam cheann a-nis. :-)

"just as Irish was spoken in Ireland at one time, was Scot's Gaelic spoken in Scotland at one time?"

They are really the same language, they began to part from each other quite recently. About 100 years ago about half of Scotland (in terms of area) was still speaking Gaelic, roughly 20% of the population.

http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/SESLL/STELLA/STARN/lang/GAELIC/graph5a.htm

(Note that in the census taken in Scotland, as opposed to the census in Ireland, people state the language they are actually speaking...)

Gaelic is the traditional language of the areas normally called The Highland and The Hebrides. The Gaelic for the Scottish Highland is Gaidhealtachd - I guess everyone sees where it comes from.

Gaelic wasn't the original Celtic language of Scotland, though. Before the Gaels came to Scotland from Ireland, Welsh was spoken in Scotland. (Actually Brythonic/Old Welsh that would later develop into Welsh, just as Goidelic/Old Irish would develop into Irish and Gaelic.) In fact, the oldest written texts in Welsh were written in Scotland. This Celtic language was gradually replaced by another; Gaelic. During the last 100 years, Gaelic has largely been replaced by English. :-(

http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/SESLL/STELLA/STARN/lang/GAELIC/graph7a.htm

"It seems to me like a really beautiful langauge"

I agree. As is the case with Irish, there are quite significant differences between the Scottish Gaelic dialects

"Tá Gaidhlig níos gaire do chanúint an Tuaiscirt ná do aon chanúint Éireannach eile."

Gan amhras, ach ag an am céanna, tá naisceanna suimiúla idir Gàidhlig agus An Rinn (agus Corca Dhuibhne) mar gheall ar an bhfoghraíocht!

Natalie

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Tha mi sia bliadhna deug cuideachd, a Natalie.
- wilsonsamm

I can't really make out what this says Wilsonsamm, I'm sorry. I'm guessing from the "sia bliadhna deug" that you're saying you are also 16 years old??? If this is true, than that's a good thing! I'm not the only youngest anymore! :)

Natalie

Fear_na_mbróg

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Bhfuel, ceapaim gur cuimhin le gach éinne m'aois-se!

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 193.130.64.1
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Natalie! that's right, I'm sixteen.
'Twas in Scots Gaelic I wrote! I don't really have much Gaelic, and the little Gaelic I have is Scottish. I recently decided on learning Irish! Just for the sake of it!

Natalie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Well welcome to the site! As everyone will tell you, there are lots of great people to help you on here when or if you find a snag in your learning. Surprisingly, they have a lot of patience. I say "they" because I'm no help (and I also have no patience)! :)

Natalie

Budineire
Username: Budineire

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Bhfuel, Táim 23 mbliana d'aois ;o)

©Daltaí na Gaeilge