lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2004 (January-March) » Etymology in Irish ( --Greek by another name?) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan OHanlon (217.137.246.70 - 217.137.246.70)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

A Chara,

Hello,

I regret, I do not speak Irish, and yet I have cause to try and trace the origin of the Irish "Cill" (churchyard). I have reason to suspect it comes from the Classical Greek, "Chilos" ("green fodder"). Can anyone help me out here?

On the Greek connection, is anybody out there as curious as I am about the apparent significant similarities between words in Irish and Classical Greek? (Not that it should be any surprise, given the role of the Irish monks in the Middle Ages--used to be called the Dark Ages--the Irish being the only ones in Europe (besides the Greeks themselves) who for nearly a thousand years, studied the language.

(Please reply to or cc my email address)

Regards,
Dan O'Hanlon

OCG (217.155.45.123 - 217.155.45.123)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Dan,

I don'tknow about "Cill" but seeing as Greek and Irish are members of the Indo-European family, it would not be surprising if there is a link between them.

Dennis King has a great website with a selection of Irish words and their IE roots:

http://www.lincolnu.edu/~focal/ieroots.htm

OCG (217.155.45.122 - 217.155.45.122)
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Dan,

Been looking on Google and the concensus is that Cill derives from the Latin "cella" meaning "a small room in a house" but probably acquired monastic connotations.

Aonghus (62.77.191.130 - 62.77.191.130)
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Cill means cell, but came also to mean chapel

Placenames with Cill (Kill anglicized) in Irish are usually the place a saint lived or where his/her cell was

Diarmuid (217.163.5.253 - 217.163.5.253)
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/index.html

This is an Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language (Scotland!!)...well Scots'Gaelic anyway!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge