lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2003 (October-December) » Is the spelling Aodhagán commonly used? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

C. McCoy (198.246.222.7 - 198.246.222.7)
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Is the spelling of Aidan, Aodhagán, commonly used in Ireland? I know that there are many variations of Aidan avaiable but rarely do I ever see Aodhagán used. The reason that I ask is that it is my middle name but I want to have it leagally moved to my first name. It rarely gets used because I technically have 2 middle names and go by the other one.
No one, my parents included, like my true first name and they support the change but I am curious about the using the "proper Irish" spelling. I do not want to use the anglicised Aidan if my current spelling is acceptable.

ps. It doesn't matter to me that NO ONE in the US can pronounce it. It's my name...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Seosamh Mac Muirí (193.1.100.104 - 193.1.100.104)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm afraid that the equation of 'Aidan' and 'Aodhagán' doesn't hold up. I have never seen them equated before, perhaps because the equation has never been made before and I wonder where you recieved it. 'Aodhagán' is merely another diminutive of 'Aodh'.

M'aodhóg < Mo Aodh Óg, has been the hypocoristic form of Aodán, which survived in English in the Cavan region for some time as 'Mogue', but has been generally rendered 'Aidan in English, modern holders of the name generally having either Cavan or Wexford connections, or just by the fact of having a 24th. of August birthday. (There were, however, many other saints of the name, which gives us many other birthdays and frequencies in other various localities.)

Ádh mór.

Seosamh Mac Muirí (193.1.100.104 - 193.1.100.104)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

In case you wonder about my non-use of séimhiú - h -, 'Aodhán' seems a bit removed for me having grown up with a brother of the name. I now refer to him as 'M'aodhóg' and he hasn't complained as of the last ten - fifteen yrs.

Slán go fóill.

Maidhc Ó G. (67.235.185.130 - 67.235.185.130)
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

At www.namenerds.com , they list Aodhán, Aodhan, and Aodan as different forms. A diminutive of Aodh meaning "little fire".
Le meas,
-Maidhc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge