lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2003 (July-September) » A Little Conversational Irish Help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bradford (216.16.15.66 - 216.16.15.66)
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A chairde,

After being asked how you are, Cén chaoi 'bhfuil tú? (pick your favorite dialect), and responding Tá mé go maith! (or however you feel), may you simply say Agus tú? to then ask how the other person is doing, or would that too literal a translation of what you'd say as Béarla?

I'm meeting up with a Corkman I know for a pint tonight but unfortunately being an Ó Siadhail learner my conversational Irish isn't so great!

Go raibh maith agat for your help.

Le meas,

Bradford

Seosamh Mac Muirí (193.1.100.104 - 193.1.100.104)
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Bradford a chara,

Enjoy the spraoi anocht. It may be beneficial duit féin to think in terms of answers primarily and in questions secondly. On meeting, if you allow him a few seconds, he may just fling 'Dia duit, conas tá(nn) tú' at you straight off. In such case, you ought to come back with 'Dia is Muire duit, go maith, go raibh maith agat. Conas tá tú féin?'

Use the fillers to give your brain a little time to think and to fill the space now and again: muise; ambaist; a' dtuigeann tú; tá ' fhios agam; tuigim; feicim; mar sin é (= is that a fact/my oh my). All of these can be used anywhere in a sentence and/or between sentences.

Be prepared for his non-Ó Siadhailian 'agUM', 'agUT' sounds. 'Cad' shall be there in place of 'Céard' and so on. Go mbaine tú sult as an oíche.

Bradford (216.16.15.66 - 216.16.15.66)
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

A Sheosamh,

Go raibh maith agat for the suggestions. I'm sure the "small talk" expressions will come in quite handy! I never thought about using feicim that way, but it works for me. :)

Le meas,

Bradford

Seosamh Mac Muirí (193.1.100.104 - 193.1.100.104)
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Go deimhin a Bradford, cloisfidh tú sin. I dTír Chonaill, áfach, is é 'tChím' a chloisfidh tú.

Coinnigh scéala linn.

Beir bua is beannacht,

Seosamh

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge