lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2003 (April-June) » Am I even close to translating this?? Can anyone help? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sandi (12.134.11.117 - 12.134.11.117)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hello!
I am looking for the correct Gaelic word to use for the English word, 'celebrate' or 'sing'. Ceileir or Ceiliúr is the closest I can translate. Additionally, I need the correct Gaelic pronunciation .... can anyone help!

Thank you
Sandi

Bradford (66.231.18.182 - 66.231.18.182)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sandy, a chara,

According to Foclóir Póca, it looks like 'ceiliúir' would fit the bill for both 'celebrate' and 'sing'. Pronounced something like this: kill-oor.

Now, before you go happily off with my suggestion, I must inform you that there are many, many others on this board with vastly superior knowledge of Irish than mine. I'm not much more than a beginner. If you're not in a hurry I'd wait a few more days to see if anyone has any different suggestions or pronunciations, keeping in mind that pronuncation will likely vary based on the dialect being spoken.

Le meas,

Bradford

Bradford (66.231.18.182 - 66.231.18.182)
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sandi, a chara,

Just a couple more things. One, I apologize for misspelling your name in my first post, and two, the pronunciation should stress the first syllable, eg. KILL-oor.

Le meas,

Bradford

sandi (12.134.11.117 - 12.134.11.117)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thank you!
Sandi

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge