lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2003 (April-June) » Wonderful :) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pádraig Ó Tuathchair (67.75.37.41 - 67.75.37.41)
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Well, I made it there and back. Ireland is very beautiful and as the words of my Uncle, "at least no one drives 90 in a 60 anymore." I guess the roads used to be littered with "speeders" in the past. That cleared right up after the govt. introduced the double point system :P Anyway, I made it to some great places (would have been more but it was rainy, duh). Powerscourt was great, Dunmore east is very pretty, Dublin is very busy, Meath is nice aswell. I hope to be traveling again next year. Any suggestions? Im staying in Kildare Town in Co. Kildare and go to see my great grandparents in Roscrea. I just needed to vent, thank you for your time.

Slán.
Pádraig

Jen (63.100.108.19 - 63.100.108.19)
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Pádraig, A Chara,

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip. What did you get to see while in Dublin? I am visiting there in a couple of weeks.

I'm going on a day tour to Newgrange, and of course plan to see all the usual things - Guinness brewery, Temple Bar, etc.

Slán,
Jen

Francis (193.122.47.178 - 193.122.47.178)
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Padraig,

Glad your trip was good. Next time you visit Ireland you must get out to the West. Leinster is all well and good but it's the most anglicised part of Ireland.
To get a real flavour of Ireland you should go out West, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Kerry or Donegal.

Pádraig Ó Tuathchair (67.75.36.227 - 67.75.36.227)
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I did indeed :). To answer your question Jen, My uncle took me around pretty much everywhere in Dublin. We parked in the Trinity College car park and walked to Dublin Castle, The National Museum, saw the oldest church in Dublin and drove by the Brewery. It was good times. And to you Francis, When I return one of the big trips I will be taking will be the Ring of Kerry. Staying in Killarney for a couple nights in a B&B and go round the 105 mile ring. I also hope to visit Galway too. My journey actually started in Shannon where I flew in. From there we high tailed it to Roscrea and then ended up in Kildare. I also went down the Wicklow Gap, forgot to write that in the first message. Thanks guys for your input, its much appreciated.

Slán go fóill,
Pádraig

James (199.112.55.62 - 199.112.55.62)
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A Phádraig:

If you go to Kerry give some thought to An Daingean (Dingle). It's a really lovely seaside town that hasn't become too terribly touristy. From there, if you have the time, drive the Conor Pass. It's beautiful when the sun is shining and a real white knuckler if it's foggy!! My wife and I drove it in the fog--narrow road, driving on the "wrong" side, sheep everywhere---great fun!!

If you make it up toward Galway you simply must visit An Spideal (Spiddle--I think that's the english for it)--again, a seaside community even less touristy than Dingle. The people are very friendly and the gaeilge flows from every doorway and in every pub. It was incredible.

Glad you had a good trip. Be sure to take another as soon as you can.

Le meas,

James

Ron Cox (198.246.246.8 - 198.246.246.8)
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I never met anyone who went to Ireland (whether of Irish ancestry or not) that had a bad experience. Everyone I've ever talked to about their trip to Ireland has nothing but good things to say, and never fails to comment on the hospitality and friendliess of the people.
My brother and I went in 2000 and had the most wonderful, spiritual and mystical time; full of fun and travel and wonderful people. I felt like I went home, and cannot wait to go back. But one must travel the west and south to break from some of the Anglicization and find Gaelic Ireland. Go west, Pádraig, go west!! God bless Ireland! Ron

Pádraig Ó Tuathchair (67.75.8.71 - 67.75.8.71)
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

go raibh maith agat!
Thanks guys, your awesome :P
I will make it a first thing when I arrive, west it is! I must force my uncle to take me west and stay west! lol

Éireann Go Brách!!
Slán,
Pádraig

odriscoll (142.139.13.17 - 142.139.13.17)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A Phádraig: As Ron said - don't forget the south! I'm leaving in 3 and a half weeks to go back to Baltimore and Cape Clear Island in West County Cork (of course , as many would guess from my last name!). I definitely feel at home there. I have just started learning Irish via the "Irish on Your Own" book and tapes and notice that the Irish spoken in Baltimore (very frequently, by the way) has a very different prounuciation and lilt to it than the one I am hearing on the tapes. Hopefully they will understand me anyway if I get brave enough to join in.

Jonas (213.243.190.18 - 213.243.190.18)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Your name most certainly bring forth Cape Clear. I've often wondered whether there is a single person on the island NOT named O'Driscoll
;-)

As dialect differences go, you couldn't get much further from Irish on Your Own. It teaches Donegal Irish while Cléire, of course, is in the extreme south. As someone who speaks Munster Irish, I'd say that the differences can be huge.

To me, the dialect of Cléire is more or less the same as I speak myself (mine is Corca Dhuibhne, but there are only some small differences. I can only think of four or five phonetical differences). Ulster Irish is very hard for me, though.

But on to my question: Are there really any Irish spoken in Baltimore?? From what I've been told there is no Irish whatsoever spoken on the mainland, and some say that English is gaining the upper hand on Cléire itself. I've never been there myself (actually one of the very few Gaeltacht areas I've missed) so I only report what I've heard. It would be interesting to hear your opinion

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post

There is indeed Irish spoken in Baltimore, Cape Clear and Sherkin. I believe in the summer there are classes given on Cape Clear as well. This will only be my second time over but, at the O'Driscoll Clan Gathering of 2001 when I was last there(they have one each June), the opening and closing address of the O'Driscoll Clan Cheiftain and his wife were both in Irish first, then English. Also, throughout the festival I could hear the locals making comments back and forth in Irish. However, gnerally on the street it's English you'll hear. One of the "Missions" of our Clan Chieftain is to encourage a resurgence of the language throughout the O'Driscolls of the world.

Now my question - is there another set of language tapes/books that you would recommend so I could get closer to what I hear spoken there?

Go raibh maith agat!

Jonas (213.243.190.18 - 213.243.190.18)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

My deepest respect go out to your Clan Chieftain! It would be a wonderful thing if the clan took an interest in Irish. Thanks to the O'Driscolls of Cape Clear, it is already one of the names that are associatied with Irish. Along names such as Ó Súilleabháin (O Sullivan) Ó Domhnaill (O Donnel) and some others.

To answer your question in one word: yes!

Any other set would take you closer to the Irish in Baltimore and Cléire, but I presume you also want the course to be good.

The best course by far (in my opinion, but it's shared by most Irish-speakers I've ever met) is "Learning Irish" by Ó Siadhail. When you've completed that course you will have no problem communicating in Irish. The course is based exclusively on the Irish of Cois Fhairrge in County Galway, so it is that kind of Irish you would speak. A bit closer to Baltimore, but still quite different.

Then there is the book "Teach Yourself Irish" by Ó Sé. Not a great book in my opinion, but better than Irish on your own. And it does concentrate on standard Irish though, which is a bit further towards what you would hear on Cléire.

There is an older version of "Teach Yourself Irish" by Dillon. Like "Learning Irish" it focuses on one dialect, but this one is based on the Irish of West Cork. The basis in the Irish of Cúil Aodha but it is almost identical to that on Cléire. Opinions are divided on this book. I think it's great but there are those who think it is too complicated for beginners. It can be hard to get because it's out of print.

As books go, those are your options. If you have more questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Still, I would like to turn your attention to www.gaeltalk.net . It's an on-line course for beginners and it focuses on.... the Irish of Cape Clear! The only course I know of that does so. What is more, you'll get your own on-line tutor, who is based on Cléire, and who'll help you with pronunciation and things like that.

This course is rather new and I have no experience of it myself (no matter how good it is, I wouldn't pay €20 to learn the basics of a language I've spoken for years). I do know the man behind the GaelTalk project and he is great. His ambition is to bring employment to the Irish-speaking areas and to bring Irish culture to the world. He has a on-line bookshop www.litriocht.com that is based in thr Kerry Gaeltacht, he has another company in the Múcraí Gaeltacht and GaelTalk is the latest of his projects, bringing employment to Cléire. Besides the noble ambitions, he is also a very nice person.

As I said, I can't say how good the www.gaeltalk.net course is but I would indeed suggest that you go to their webpage and take a look.

If you decide to take the course, it would be great to hear how you're doing.

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thank you Jonas. You're the second person who has recommended "Teach Yourself Irish" by Dillon. Just last week I was at the national conference of the Canadian Association for Irish Studies and one of the speakers from St. Mary's University mentioned it as well. I'll be arriving in Dublin on Sunday the 22nd of June and will stay there until Wednesday when I'll drive down to Baltimore for the Clan Gathering. Would you, or anyone else on the forum, happen to know of any second-hand bookstores in Dublin where I might be able to find a copy of Dillon's book?

Paul (66.152.218.225 - 66.152.218.225)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

A O Driscoll, a chara:
You might try litriocht.com.
I've gotten out-of-print books from them,
at a reasonable price and fast service, too.
Ádh mór,
Paul

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thank you Paul. Jonas mentioned that site as well. I've taken a quick look but didn't see it listed. I'll send them an e-mail and see if they can find a copy.

Maidhc Ó G. (65.128.204.145 - 65.128.204.145)
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

There's an Irish language title in the shop right here in Daltaí "Teach Yourself Irish". It doesn't give the author though.
And there's another "Teach Yourself Irish" by Diarmuid Ó Sé agus Joseph Shiels listed at Litriocht. I don't know any more about it except that the ISBN# is 0-340-79985-4 and was listed at 35 Euros. I found it under the 'Irish Books for Beginners' catagory.

Jonas (213.243.191.27 - 213.243.191.27)
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes, that's the problem. Dillon's excellent book has got the same namn as Ó Sé's not-so-excellent book.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge