lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2002 (July-December) » Earraí Gaelacha « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gearóid ó Murchú (p56-26.as1.sla.galway.eircom.net - 159.134.56.26)
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dia Daoibh, Is mise Gearóid, nó is minic a ghlaotar an Spailpín orm. Tá siopa Gaelach agam sa Spidéal i gConamara, an réimse is leithne d'earrai Gaelacha ar an margadh. Buail isteach chugainn uair éigin má bhíonn sibh sa gceantar, nó buail isteach ar ár suíomh ar WWW.SPAILPIN.COM
Beidh fáilte romhat agus beidh tú sásta

Hello, I'm Gearóid and I've just found this wonderful site. I'm in the lucky situation that I live and work in the Conamara Gaeltacht, where I run an "All Things Gaelic" shop, called An Spailpín Fánach. Call in sometime if you're in the area, or join us on our website at WWW.SPAILPIN.COM. You'll be glad you did, and so will we.
Beannacht,
Gearóid

James (wcs3.norfolk.nipr.mil - 198.26.132.99)
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A Ghearóid,

My wife and I were in Spidéal two years ago. We flew into Shannon, drove to An Daingean then to Blarney (sorry, had to do the tourist thing, stone and all) and then we drove out to your area. I must say we fell in love with the area, the people---the whole package. What a wonderfully relaxing and culturally rich area. Next time we're in the area we'll be sure to drop in.

Now, to my point. I'm struggling with this language and this was one of the first posts as gaeilge that I was able to read beginning to end and generally comprehend. But, I need one piece of clarification. "nó is minic a ghlaotar" Having a bit of trouble with this one. Is it a collquiallism or an idiomatic expression (like Buail isteach literally is "strike inside" but means drop by). Help me out a bit.

Go raibh maith agat,

Le meas,

James

Al Evans (tbtm.org - 208.188.101.145)
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

"nó is minic a ghlaotar an Spailpín orm" =
"but I'm often called the Spailpin"

--Al Evans

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge