lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2002 (January-June) » Irish pronountation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Una (proxy1.vita.gov.lv - 212.70.160.11)
Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Does anybody know where canI find pronountation of irish words in Internet ? Just decided to learn the language but I' ve lost my headphones . Can somebody help me, please.

Ó Dúill (p4.as1.qkr.cork1.eircom.net - 159.134.180.4)
Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Una,
Pronunciation is a tough one. I know of lots of sites devoted to Irish but rarely is pronunciation an element. Hopefully one of the fluent speakers may be able to help provided they are not engaging in WW3 *chuckle*
Guím gach rath ort [geih-um gock roth urt] I wish you every sucess : ),
Colm.

James (spider-th033.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.213.58)
Posted on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Una,

I must agree with Colm. Pronunciation is a bear. One word in Dingle gets completely different treatment in An Spideal and gets a wholly different treatment in the North. My suggestion is to pick a region that you feel comfortable with and get that pronunciation down as best you can.

Also, people like Colm (yes, we have our differences, but by God, he IS Irish and does speak the language), Aonghus et al are invaluable assets. Beyond that--you're pretty much on your own. (At least, that's how I feel!)

Le meas,

James

Ó Dúill (p181.as1.qkr.cork1.eircom.net - 159.134.180.181)
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks James for your kind words. I feel rather chuffed now. lol
Una,
if you take my advice go with the Munster dialect, we need some members here *gáire*. Only messing. I agree with James, just go with what you feel comfortable with. Irish is like three different languages, Munster, Connacht, and Ulster. All are slightly different in their phonetics, verbs, grammer, and syntax but are all equally enjoyable and interesting.
Go dtéir slán! [Guh day-ter slawn] Yet another way to say good-bye,
Colm.

James (209.48.182.219)
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

A Choilm,

I'm using three main sources in my efforts. One, "Learing Irish" by Micheal O'Shiadhal (spelling may be off a bit) is based in what they call the "Cois Fhairrage" (again, check that spelling, I don't have the book with me at the moment)which I believe is associated with the Connacht region. Any idea what "Cois Fhairrage" means and could you give me a hand with the pronunciation. I'm saying (Kish Air-uguh) but wouldn't admit that to too many people.

The other I'm using is the "Teach Yourself Irish" book which is based in the Munster dialect. I do notice some differences but get good utilization from both.

O'Shiadhal is more academic in his approach and the TYI is more conversational with some grammar tossed in for clarification. And then there's Buntus Cainte which, as I'm sure you are aware, is TOTALLY conversation with ZERO grammar.

At any rate--any help with that pronunciation above would be greatly appreciated.

Go raibh maith agat,

James

una (proxy2.vita.gov.lv - 212.70.160.12)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks guys 4 answering. I found my headphones and now everything's OK.
Una

Aonghus (vpn.parthus.com - 62.221.5.1)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Cois Fharraige - by the sea
This is the name for (roughly) the south-west of Connemara which is a vibrant Gaeltacht.
There is a map here on gaelsaoire's website
(http://www.gaelsaoire.ie)

http://217.114.164.90/images/Galway_zoom_map.gif

I must demur on pronunciation - I can't get my head around the idea of writing pronunciation down.

Paul (server1.embryoninc.com - 66.152.218.225)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Aonghus agus cairde eile:
I've found the section regarding IPA symbols and pronunication at the beginning of 'Foclóir Póca' to be helpful.
Ádh mór oraibh, Pól

Ó Dúill (p44.as1.qkr.cork1.eircom.net - 159.134.180.44)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

James,
I'm not saying your pronunciation is wrong but i say it: Cois Farraige [Chush Farraguh]
Beidh mé ar ais anseo Dé Luain. Táim *ag gasóg* an deireadh seachtaine seo.
Slán leat,
Colm.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge