lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2001 (July-December) » Need translation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Micheal Donovan (host-216-153-144-129.choiceone.net - 216.153.144.129)
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Can anyone provide a translation for love, loyalty and friendship. I believe it is GRÁ DILSEAGHT CAIRDEAS but I want to be sure as this will be part of a tatoo.

Thanks for any help.

Caoimhín O'Cléirigh- Technical Inquiries (Kevin) (141.153.212.7)
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Michael,

try searching the board for "love, loyalty and friendship" (hint: use the quotes). You'll find more than one post which addresses it.

Caoimhín

Seosamh (1cust68.tnt70.nyc3.da.uu.net - 63.57.21.68)
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

GRÁ DILSEAGHT CAIRDEAS is okay as long as you put a fada on the I in dílseacht: GRÁ DÍLSEAGHT CAIRDEAS. Unlike some other languages, Irish keeps this symbol on capital letters (you can remove them for stylistic reasons -- the people who made up this rule weren't thnking of tatoos). DÍLSEACHT is the standard, modern spelling but the old-fashioned one you have above is probably better for this kind of purpose. IF you wish, you could add the word for 'and': GRÁ, DILSEAGHT AGUS CAIRDEAS, but I wouldn't. The same for commas.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge