lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2001 (July-December) » Translation help please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michelle (a010-0271.ftsm.splitrock.net - 64.199.3.17)
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I would like to know if anyone could help me translate, no leaf clover into gaelic. Any help would be much appreciated.Would like this phrase for a tattoo.

Seosamh (1cust230.tnt67.nyc3.da.uu.net - 63.57.12.230)
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

What does 'no leaf clover' mean? Four-leaf clover/shamrock is lucky, so no-leaf clover would be very unlucky? It's an odd phrase to translate without context but 'seamair gan duilleog' ('clover without a leaf') should do it. Or 'seamair gan duilleoga' ('clover without leaves').

A four-leaf clover, by the way, is called 'seamair Mhuire' (Mary's clover). If someone is very lucky, you could say 'Tá an tseamair Mhuire (faoina chrios) aige' ("He has the clover of Mary [under his belt]). 'Shamrock' comes from the Irish word 'seamróg' ('a little clover'). 'The Shamrock, or Hibernian Chronicle' was the first Irish newspaper in America. It was started in 1810 in New York by an exiled '98er named Thomas O'Connor.

Michelle (a010-0252.ftsm.splitrock.net - 64.199.2.252)
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

It is the title of a song that my husband likes. Even though he has Irish heritage, he is unlucky most of the time. Thank you so much for your help.

Seosamh (3cust103.tnt30.nyc3.da.uu.net - 63.42.159.103)
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Then all his luck is building up for something else. When you get the tattoo, buy some lottery tickets. Ádh mór oraibh. Great luck on you.

Michelle (a010-0252.ftsm.splitrock.net - 64.199.2.252)
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I haven't thought of that...let's hope that is what happens. One more question. I have no idea how that is pronounced. Could you help me with that? I really appreciate all of your help so far. :) Thanks again!!

Fintan (neta.lisp.com.au - 203.21.133.124)
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

It would sound 'something' like "sham-ar gun dwill-ug", depending on your accent and your pronunciation of my terrible phonetics. It's a great motto, very 'black' Irish humour. And yes, good luck with the lottery as Seosamh suggested.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge