lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2001 (January-June) » Looking for an Irish speaking destination... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott Alan Shepherd (proxy.bloodservices.ca - 154.11.218.34)
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2001 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Print Post

God Bless All,
I've been learning Irish piece by piece on my own here in Canada, but will soon be in a conversational course. I am heading over to Ireland in the end of February for a few weeks and would like another location to add to my itinerary. I'll be in Dublin for about a week, Cork for a few days, and Belfast for a few days as well. The first two Counties (cities) are basically where my families came from, and I'll hopefully be living in Belfast by next August. I was thinking of taking off from Dublin for a few days to explore a few Irish fluent towns, but I have no idea where to start. I've been contemplating Donegal, Mayo, or Galway, but my time this trip will be short. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a few towns where they will tolerate a foriegner who is far from fluent.

(Not to be too demanding but I also need the Address for Brannigan's pub in Dublin, someone recently came over to my local -Liam Brannigan's- with photo's from there, I have been asked to bring some pic's of our Liam's pub back when I go, If any Dub's can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.)...........E-mail especially welcome.

Athbhliain faoi Mhaise Daoibh...

Scott Alan Shepherd...
(eireeye@nipost.net)

Don't mean to offend anyone with my eireeye e-mail, I couldn't figure out how to put É on my eireeye, so I am stuck with "burden"eye for a translated name.. please, laugh with me not at me on this one..

Slán go foill agus sláinte.

Pádraig (193.95.161.154)
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A Chara,
While Im not too sure about Donegal and Mayo being from Cork there are plenty of places to visit down south. In Cork itself you could try visiting west Cork around the local town of Macroom. The villages (covering a fair few miles!) around Macroom e.g Ballingeary, inchigeelagh (not sure of the spelling) Ballyvourney etc all make up an Irish speaking area ( the Gaeltacht) with fine scenery and friendly locals. In our neighbour Kerry you could try the Dingle peninsula where Irish is still spoken though the place is usually packed with tourists. Being winter you might be lucky. Alternatively, just over the eastern Cork border in the county of Waterford there is a small little enclave near the town of Dungarvan called Ring (An Ring in Irish) where some locals still continue the Irish tradition.
Wherever you go have a good trip!
Slán anois.
Pádraig.

Jonas (botta4.org.helsinki.fi - 128.214.129.28)
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I would like to point out that there is no guarantee that a place is Irish-speaking, even though it's within a Gaeltacht. There are hardly any Irish left in Mayo (except for Ceathrú Thaidhg, An Fód Dubh and Tuar Mhic Éadaigh). Although the Mayo Gaeltacht looks big on the map, no Irish is left there. The same applies to the Gaeltacht east of Galway, and Bearna to the west. Most of the Conamara Gaeltacht is still Irish-speaking however. In Kerry, Dingle and the villages east of it are within the official Gaeltacht, but not much Irish is heard there. The villages west of Dingle, however, are still Irish-speaking.

The Ring of Kerry, although an official Gaeltacht, is completely English, as is Clear Island in Co. Cork. All the villages mentioned by Pádraig around Macroom are English-speaking, but Irish is still the tongue in Cuil Aodha south of Baile Bhúirne (Ballyvourney).

The villages in Gaoth Dobhair in Donegal are completely Irish-speaking, as is Tory Island, but English has become predominant further south

williamobrien (netcache-c6100.vic-remote.bigpond.net.au - 61.9.128.141)
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2001 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Print Post

The best places to learn Irish are Donegal and Conamara .The Gaeltachts should be redrawn after the next Census and when people see then how small they are now they will realise how fatal the state of the language is.It has been said that only the Conamara and Donegal Gaeltachts are big enough to survive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge