lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2000 (July-December) » Miotaseolaíocht/mythology « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maureen Connelly (124.new-york-66-67rs.ny.dial-access.att.net - 12.79.14.124)
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I an not up on my mytology I would like some help.Lia Fáil
what does this mean? Claoimh Solais Nuadha, Sword of life of Nuadha? Ga Lugh. Lugh's spear? Coire an Daghda, the cauldron of Daghda? Rúraíocht? some type of story.
Fleá Bhricriú? Can anyone give me the meaning of these
things.

Maureen Connelly/beanatí

Seosamh (2cust121.tnt11.nyc3.da.uu.net - 63.23.133.249)
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Lia Fáil is often called the 'stone of destiny'. The stone would sing (or let out a scream) if a person meant to be king sat on it and it was consequently used in coronations. There's a Scottish version of this too, called the Stone of Scone in English. It was used in the coronation of Scottish kings. The English swiped it in the thirteenth century and kept it under their coronation throne until just four years ago, when it was returned to Scotland. The Irish Lia Fáil is usually taken to be a stone at Teamhair (Tara). Inis Fáil (the Island of Ireland) is one of many fanciful and symbolic terms for Ireland.

Fleá Bhricriú is Bricriu's Feast. I'll leave that story and the rest of the terms to others.

Laighneach (oak.may.ie - 149.157.1.55)
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

"An Rúraíocht" is the collective name for the branch of mythology relating to the deeds of the ulster nobels.The name is generally anglicised as "The Ulster Cycle".It differs from "An Fhiannaíocht"(The Fenian Cycle) in that it only relates to Ulster and their dealings with others.But the Fenian Cycle referred to the tales and the deeds of Fionn Mac Cumhaill and the Fianna who were under the services of the King of Tara.
The word "Rúraíocht" is an abstract noun based on the name "Ruairí" which was the name of one of the prominent kings of Ulster at the time of the mythology.Even though it is anglicised as "The Ulster Cycle", it would be more acurately translated as "The Ruairí-ology".(Just a personal opinion).
Anyway it refers specifically to Cúchulainn, the Red Branch Knights(An Ulster equivalent of the Fianna), the Reign of Conchúbhar Mac Neasa and the great war between his kingdom of Ulster with the Connaught kingdom of Queen Maeve in the story of "The Brown Bull of Cooley".
The Rúraíocht was the first of the irish mythologies to be written down from the oral tradition, by monks, in Old-Irish, during the irish monastic period before the arrival of the vikings.
"An Fhiannaíocht" or "The Fenian Cycle" had to wait to the Middle-Irish period to be written down for posterity.

Maureen (157.new-york-58-59rs.ny.dial-access.att.net - 12.79.165.157)
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2000 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Seosamh agus Laighneach,

Go raibh míle maith agaibh as bhur gcúnamh.

Tigím é anios.

Nollaig Beannaithe agus athbhlian faoi mhaise daoibh.

Máirín/beanati

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge