lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2000 (July-December) » Ciffdkyderligere? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

collette corcoran (159.180.250.178)
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Could any one please shed some light on the meaning of this word, Thanks
Collette corcoran

Seosamh (1cust95.tnt9.nyc3.da.uu.net - 63.23.128.95)
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

If it's Irish, it's pretty heavily disguised. Where did you get it? Is it something you heard from a person or a tape? If so, could it be some other language? (Maybe a Scandinavian one?)

antaine (spider-ti033.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.194.188)
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2000 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

It almost looks Welsh due to the doubled letters, and the kyd combo. While Irish and Welsh are related in that they are both Celtic tongues, Welsh is not Gaelic and so has quite a different look and feel. I actually have a Welsh dictionary on order, so while I don't recognise the word, I may be able to look it up (if my hunch is right).

Seosamh (1cust49.tnt9.nyc3.da.uu.net - 63.23.128.49)
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

The pattern of letters doesn't correspond to any language I've ever seen. Because of that and since it's written as all one word, I thought it might have been spoken and written down by someone with American English notions of how sounds are spelled. The end of the phrase is vaguely reminiscent of some Scandinavian words but they don't make much sense at the end of a sentence (där ligger). Then again it could just be nonsense concocted by some author.

Máire Ní Ógáin (194.133.7.60)
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2000 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Absolutely no idea. What made you think it was Irish?

Jonas (stud174.shh.fi - 128.214.106.174)
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2000 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Print Post

It would be much easier to tell if you would give the context, instead of just the single word. It is definitely not Irish, neither is it Scandinavian, though "yderligere" comes pretty close to Danish (the Swedish form is ytterligare"). The preciding cliffdk is definitely not Scandinavian, and if the k is transferred to the end of the word ("kyderligere"), it becomes quite far from Swedish.

Where did you see the word? (And why on earth should it be Irish????)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge