lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2000 (July-December) » Help! My book is trying to trick me, part 2. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Padhraic
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dia dhuit Kay,
Go riabh maith agat. Bhi an cheist sin deacair dom, ach freagair ceist eile, más ?do thoil ? My book, "Learning Irish" by Mícheál ?Siadhail, has this translation for that sentence in my last posting."The community school is a secondary school, really, but trades are prominent (given prominence)together with other basic subjects". What word in the Irish sentence means "given prominence"? Also, could you tell me why it seems that whenever a sentence is translated from Irish into english, things are left out? This sentence for example, I translated the last half of the sentence "but, normally trades are considered together with the other common basic subjects." Granted, my Irish is terrible, but I know that "bionn" means "normally is", and I know that "leis na bunabhair choitianta eile" means "with the other common basic subjects" and yet it seems alot of that gets dropped in the translation, why is that?
Lost and confused on Cape Cod.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Seosamh (3cust29.tnt12.nyc3.da.uu.net - 63.23.138.29)
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

You understand the sentence very well. "Given prominence" is Ó'Siadhail's translation of "i gceist". As you know, that phrase means "in question". Or "at issue" or "involved". Granted it can be hard to translate it exactly, but I think the translation in the Text is not a very good one, so don't feel bad. (Tugtar fá dear go bhfuil an abairt atá *i gceist* anseo insan 12ú ceacht de Learning Irish insan alt "Oideachas".)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge