lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2000 (January-June) » Surname Change « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike (hse113.resnet.upenn.edu - 165.123.4.193)
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2000 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

My last name is McNulty, but I looked in a book of Irish surnames recently and found that the original gaelic version is "Mac an Ultaigh". I was thinking of getting a legal name change, because I think McNulty sounds so plain and it really doesn't mean anything in English. How do I go about getting a legal name change, and how should I pronounce "Mac an Ultaigh"?

Dennis King (donncha.ndip.eskimo.net - 207.54.13.247)
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2000 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Print Post

The real questions might be, how will all the strangers who meet up with your new surname pronounce it, and are you willing to put up with what they come up with? But anyway, the Irish pronunciation of Mac an Ultaigh would be roughly:

MAHK uhn OOL-tee, with the OO as in 'book' (not as in 'cool') Say it quickly and you're back to McNulty!

As for changing your name, all you have to do to make it legal is to put it in use. Change your bank account and checks and credit cards, your subscriptions, etc. etc. You don't need a court document at all. It's basically a common law procedure and it's perfectly legal. Ádh mór!

Bob (hse113.resnet.upenn.edu - 165.123.4.193)
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2000 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks for the pronunciation and the advice. Yes, I am perfectly willing to put up with people stumbling over the pronunciation of it. My middle name is my mother's maiden name, and people always mispronounce it, using the literal English pronunciation rather than the Gaelic. The reason for my name change is that Mac an Ultaigh actually means something, (son of Ulsterman) and people think McNulty means "son of Nulty."

Laigheanach (ts15-197.dublin.indigo.ie - 194.125.176.197)
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2000 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

There's an irish name called 'Nutt' or 'Mac Nutt', which is native irish, but translates into 'Mac Nuadhat', son of Nuadhat, who was a god/demi-god from irish folklore and legend, I mean how cool is that!Talk about going from zero to hero!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge