lastdyoff.gif
lastwkoff.gif
treeoff.gif
searchoff.gif
helpoff.gif
contactoff.gif
creditsoff.gif
homeoff.gif

The Daltaí Boards » Archive: 1999-2004 » 2000 (January-June) » The Irish language's usage today in Ireland and the world « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Erin Elisabeth Brown
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm attempting to write a paper for my communication program in school, and I'd like to focus of the Irish language and its oppression under English colonialism, and the attempts to "revive" it, and the Irish language's role in maintaining Irish nationalism. If anyone can help me locate some websites, articles, or books that pertain to these subjects, I would be most appreciative. My email address is erbrown@anselm.edu
Thank you.

Seosamh
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Some good books on the Irish language in English (don't think that there aren't many sources in Irish itself!) are

A View of the Irish Language, Brian Ó Cuív (Dublin, 1969).

The Great Silence, Seán de Fréine (Dublin, 1978).

The Irish Language, Máirtín Ó Murchú (Dublin, 1985).

A book that deals with the function of national languages is With Forked Tongues: What Are National Languages Good For?, Florian Coulmas, ed. (?, Karoma Publishers, 1988). The summary article by Ralph Fasold wraps up the whole subject by discussing the case of Irish.

Tallying up the worst possible picture of the state of Irish, he nevertheless says, 'In spite of its failure as an official or communicative language, Irish seems to be serving the nation as a *national* language rather well,' (p. 184).

But the best treatment of Irish I have seen in a long time is the recent article by Gearóid Denvir. It appeared in a publication (Hibernian Review?) from Minn./St. Paul. Does anyone have the proper references?

Dennis King (donncha.ndip.eskimo.net - 207.54.13.247)
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

"New Hibernia Review" an teideal atá air, ó Lárionad an Léinn Éireannaigh / The Center for Irish Studies . Faraor nach bhfuil sé sa leabharlann anseo!

Stair an Fhocail: liath
http://www.eskimo.com/~donncha/stair3.html

Jeanie
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

You might want to look in this book: Ireland, 1912-1985: Politics and Society. The author is Prof. Joe Lee, who teaches at U.C. Cork and writes on the E.U. for the Sunday Tribune. Although this is a highly regarded history of Ireland in this century, the last chapter in the book is a series of essays on various aspects of Irish life. The last of these is called "Identity," in which Professor Lee discusses the language.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

©Daltaí na Gaeilge